Carter County Jamboree

Guest tdog45

Earlier i got the chance to watch the Jamboree that was held on the ETSU campus. First off there was the kids from Clinch that were just far out matched by the UH jv team. Like always the Clinch boys played their hearts out only to fall to a JV group.

Next up for the day was the Girls match up between last years second place team Unaka taking on North Greene. North Greene played tough for the first part. It was a very well played and close game. But in the end Unaka holds on to win it.

The second boys match up proved to be a high pace battle. UH vs. North Greene. With Bradley being out with an ankle injury it left the door up for North Greene to take the win. The game was very close and very though. About half way through we saw a show of bad sportsmanship when two players almost got into it on the half court line. A ball was thrown a few pushes and still there was no foul shoots taken after the fuss. In the end UH pulled it out with some fine shooting by the guards. North Greene really misses the play of last years big man.

The Cloudland and UH girls game started out with some fine play by UH and some sluppy first minute play by Cloudland. After a few mins though Cloudland hit there groove and easliy put the UH girls.

Next up was the Unaka vs. Cloudland boys game. Dont even ask me how these two always get picked to meet in the jamboree but it always happenings this way. With the lack of players (due to Cloudlands football team) Cloudland looked alittle sloppy. In this game we saw alot of freshman and lower class mistakes. The Rangers slowly pulled away from the Landers and went on to win.

Final thoughts:

(BOYS) I never did see a stand out player on any of the teams. Usually u see a player that u can tell just takes control of the game and takes the ball right at the other team. In my opinion there wasnt much of this in tonights games. After finally getting to see every team in the conference play, i would say it is going to be a very close race for first in the conference. Except for if the Bradley kid is out for long enough to miss a few conference games. Then of course it is once again between Cloudland and Unaka. From what i saw tonight both Unaka and Cloudland are far below the play level of last years teams. For example if Cloudland had last years team this year then it would be a cake walk to the Sub-State game. And the same for Unaka. I just feel both teams are just not playing at the same skill level as before.

What i heard tonight! Robbie Tolley is doubtful to play this year. This will hurt Cloudland a lot but i still feel that Cloudland can over come it and take the number one spot. What i heard is that Cloudland beat Unaka by 20 this summer. When Cloudland had all their players and Unaka had all their players. Of course the Landers did have Tolley then but i still feel they should be able to over come the Rangers. Second, i heard that Cloudland beat Hancock by 15 and that was with all of Hancocks players also. So will cloudland and uanka go to sub-state?? I dont know about that, but it is a chance. But i do think Cloudland should be able to make it if they play ball like they can.

(Girls) Even though UH and North Greene played though. I think this season will be almost a repeat of last season. But i did feel as if the Cloudland team is playing alittle off their game, so i look for Unaka to maybe take part of the Conference with a 1-1 split. Also look for UH or North Greene to steal one away from the two.

Robbie is a big loss for the Landers... however, I think there is a chance that he will be back. But, when Byrd and company returns they will still be a legitimate competitor and right up in contention even if Robbie doesn't come back. I can't figure out why Unaka always has to play Cloudland in the jamboree either, but it always seems to happen. The Cloudland team you saw play on Thursday is nothing like the Cloudland team that you should see about Christmas Tourney time, or a little after according to how long it takes them to get in basktball shape. As for Bradley coming back, I don't know how much he can help UH- that is definately one of the weaker UH teams I have ever saw (alot weaker than a weak team from last year) North Greene showed more potential that UH, and it wouldn't surprise me if NG didn't finish 3rd in the conference in front of UH and Clinch. The Collins kid has the ability to light it up on a given night even though he didn't hit much on Thursday.

Where was Cody Collins for Unaka? It seemed to me that alot of the Unaka kids that were getting playing time weren't fitting the mold of Ensor's system yet. Maybe they will gel together as the season goes along, but things look real shaky as of right now.

There wasn't a team I watched all night that impressed me any. Hopefully, things will change soon in the WVC.