McMinn Central

charger05

1 hour ago, Joyful95 said:

Why did Brandon Derrick have so much success there but no one since then has had any success?

Athletes with size and speed. This is just hypothetical but if McMinn's athletes (even just a handful) played at Central, they would be competing for district championships every year, averaging 7-8 wins a season and going deep in the playoffs. Central does get a good group every 7 years it seems though lol. This team is a good group. They can win. 

Those 2007-2009 teams were loaded with talent! 

We had a talented bunch of kids who worked tirelessly in the weight room to get better and change the culture. We also had a very diverse coaching staff that got every bit of effort out of every kid. We established a solid network of communication throughout the community so parents and kids wanted to play for the Big Blue. Most of all the community bought into what we were trying to establish. The greatest hurdle was trying to convince Englewood to join forces and establish a solid feeder program that benefited the high school. Whoever gets the job better be able to network, generate community excitement, establish a diverse staff, and work like his life depends on it. Just remember the group from 2007-2009 always worked hard, practiced hard, and played hard for the community, the only fault was a young inexperienced Coach Derrick who had never been a head coach. 

2 hours ago, visorman said:

We had a talented bunch of kids who worked tirelessly in the weight room to get better and change the culture. We also had a very diverse coaching staff that got every bit of effort out of every kid. We established a solid network of communication throughout the community so parents and kids wanted to play for the Big Blue. Most of all the community bought into what we were trying to establish. The greatest hurdle was trying to convince Englewood to join forces and establish a solid feeder program that benefited the high school. Whoever gets the job better be able to network, generate community excitement, establish a diverse staff, and work like his life depends on it. Just remember the group from 2007-2009 always worked hard, practiced hard, and played hard for the community, the only fault was a young inexperienced Coach Derrick who had never been a head coach. 

You certainly seem like a coach or administrator. Who’s gonna be the next hire?

To reply to joyful, I think there are people in Englewood and Etowah who are passionate about winning, so as a new coach, you have to come in ready to go to work and work hard. If you do, those passionate folks will help you. As for the one perk comment, the columbia blue and navy are awesome colors! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Haydiboy said:

Other than rebuilding a team in your image  I hate how he scheduled this year  and jumped ship for an assistant job he gave it two years and didn't even allow his freshmen to become  seniors and noticed he quickly left polk whenever they started struggling all I heard was how great Davis was.  need a break from Meigs County maybe schedule a couple of cupcakes to gain some enthusiasm instead of playing the same teams every  year 

I don't agree with your Polk comment, Davis was hired to take over a program that had went years w/o a winning season when Jeff Williams was coach. The season before Derrick was hired they went 0-10, Derrick's first year 2-8 then the next season 9-3 and a trip to the 2nd round of the playoffs. Then the ball got rolling and the wins kept coming along with region championships and a win vs South Pitt. He's a good coach and knows how to pull every ounce of talent out of his players. His interview with the DPA said he was ready to step down from head coaching duties after 21yrs so why doubt his reasoning? Maybe he's got something going on at home and just didn't have the time to dedicate to being a HC anymore? I'd say he did a good job at MC considering the beat Polk co both years along with Copper Basin and a good win vs Brainard. He no doubt left the program better than he found it.

1 hour ago, Haydiboy said:

I wasn't talking about when he joined  polk I was talking about his end at polk county once they started having trouble he jumped ship for mcminn central its plan as day to see you don't have to agree with me.  And I agree but did he though or was it just a better  group of kids?

He struggled at Polk also, from 2014 to 2017 he was 7-34 including two winless seasons. His last year at Polk was 6-5. I'll say this, and I have no facts to back up my opinion** I think he left polk because of administration reasons. Their were some rumors flying around that the soccer parents where causing a stink wanting to use the football stadium for games but they still expected Derrick to maintain the field. I heard he denied those rumors is why he left but only he knows the real reason.