refs best in the state

Guest urout

Some of the best refs in the state are calling in the 7A, 7AA and 7AAA in the Celina, Frendship, Livingston , and Cookeville districts. Dont get me wrong some are better than others but most of them are very good and fair.

Most of the time the teams that lose are the ones that say the refs beat us. But if you make every shot dont make any turnovers dont foul and dont miss any shots then yes the refs might beat you but show me a team that can play the perfect game then get on the refs.

The refs call the game the teams play the team that makes the adjustments to the way the game is called will win.

Good luck to all teams in the area and state.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At Mjhs vs.Smyrna one ref was using two hands to signal foul calls. The trailing oficial would make calls down on baseline in front of his partner. By rule only artificial noisemakers are not aloud but they took ours from the crowd again. They need to officiate and let the crowd have fun and one of the refs was even making comments to the crowd how the call he made was correct. These officials were horrible and unprofessional. But as we all know it there is no reprucussion for refs.They need more training and not get the first person off broadway and says he wants to be a ref and put him in a uniform and give him a couple middle school games and then he is ready for varsity action. WRONG! :confused:

I'm not saying that some refs are not that good but as far as training its there. But most off all the guys or ladies must want to get better to get better. No matter what you should always be professional and thats the bottom line. I'm sure this will not be the last time you see refs that are not up to par. But the game is still played and will be played no matter what.

And as for the noisemakers. here is the rule from TSSAA handbook.

No air horns, cow bells, megaphones, sirens, clackers, cans with marbles or rocks inside or individual type noise makers will be allowed. The use of artifical noisemakers is prohibited at all levels. Just to let you know that anykind of noisemaker is prohibited.

And I agree that this is not what a ref should have to deal with but they do because it is a rule. But if the people at the schools and coaches would do what their suppose to do the refs would not have to do this.

Posted by cardinalcoach:

I'm not saying that some refs are not that good but as far as training its there. But most off all the guys or ladies must want to get better to get better. No matter what you should always be professional and thats the bottom line. I'm sure this will not be the last time you see refs that are not up to par. But the game is still played and will be played no matter what.

And as for the noisemakers. here is the rule from TSSAA handbook.

No air horns, cow bells, megaphones, sirens, clackers, cans with marbles or rocks inside or individual type noise makers will be allowed. The use of artifical noisemakers is prohibited at all levels. Just to let you know that anykind of noisemaker is prohibited.

And I agree that this is not what a ref should have to deal with but they do because it is a rule. But if the people at the schools and coaches would do what their suppose to do the refs would not have to do this.

Why is the TSSAA so set aganist any kind of noisemakers at games? They should spend more time makeing sure that the refs are properly trained!!

For you that think they are above the law & think there has to believe & contradict every rule, grow up. Every rule out there is for a reason. Usually, because someone abuses the rules. Don't get on those that enforce the rules, if you have a problem, be mature & pay a phone bill to those that make the rules & fight for why you believe the way you do.

Why are uniforms suppose to be worn correctly. Because the National Federation has seen a trend across the nation where this is being abused. This is not street ball, you don't have to pull your pants up & tuck your shirts in. Go play in the back yards all you want & no one is going to tell you to dress properly. Don't say your shirt keeps falling out when you haven't pulled your drawstring, just like your pants fall down below your waist at school because you aren't wearing a belt & your shorts are 2 sizes to big. Why are school boards addressing this same issue in school, because people want to be individuals & not play by the rules.

Most of the people on this board & in the gyms that complain about the noisemakers are football fans or players & can't seem to understand the difference between football & basketball. You can do some things in football & not basketball. You can tackle in football but if you do it in basketball you get thrown out of the game. The coaches yell at officials in football but if you do it in basketball, you get a tech foul. If you use a noise maker in football, it's ok, but if you continue to do it in basketball, you will be asked to stop or suffer the consequence. What's the difference? It's a different game that has different rules.

Society has rules & there are those that think those rules are silly. If you break those rules in society, you pay the consequences, maybe in jail. So everyone has rules with different penalities, & that is part of growing up & respecting others & their rules. If you can't accept those rules, take your game somewhere else, I'm sure you will find something else to complain about. ;)

THE REASON THE TSSAA IS SO SET IN THE NOISE MAKER RULE IS FOR PEOPLE LIKE YOU THAT ABUSE EVERY RULE YOU CAN FIND TO BREAK.

AS FAR AS THE REFS NEEDING TRAINED YOU MUST GO TO A SUMMER CAMP EVERY 3 YEARS. THIS CAMP IS RAN BY THE SUPERVISORS FROM ALL ACROSS THE STATE. ONE MORE THING NEXT TIME YOU TALK TO AN OFFICIAL ASK HIM HOW YOU COULD BECOME AN OFFICIAL AND HELP FIX THE PROBLEM INSTEAD OF COMPLAINING. :x:(:(

The only thing I could find wrong with a ref is consistancy. If your gonna call something call it all night and call it the same on both ends. If your not gonna call over the back, don't call it at all, if your not gonna call charges, don't call them at all, ect. I speak from a little bit of experience and being consistant isn't so hard to do.

Guest beavers2781

i have been to several games on the high school and junior high level and the officating has been sorry.in the high school game there are three referees callign a game and they cannot call a better game they need to do domething else or get some glasses.it is not just one team getting the bad calls it is both teams

Posted by alliegator11:

Don't get on those that enforce the rules, if you have a problem, be mature & pay a phone bill to those that make the rules & fight for why you believe the way you do.

Problem is, they enforce different interpretations of the rules. And they are inconsistent within games. They'll let something go early and call it later, or they'll call it early and let it go late.

And different refs obviously have their pet peeve calls that they will make more than any other ref. There's one ref in Memphis who calls a charge every time a defender hits the floor, whether he was set, moving, or trying to tackle the dribbler (ok, slight exaggeration, but my point remains).

This is not street ball, you don't have to pull your pants up & tuck your shirts in. Go play in the back yards all you want & no one is going to tell you to dress properly. Don't say your shirt keeps falling out when you haven't pulled your drawstring, just like your pants fall down below your waist at school because you aren't wearing a belt & your shorts are 2 sizes to big.

Has this *EVER* been enforced? I've seen refs send kids off for their shirt coming untucked, but I have never seen any kid get talked to for his shorts being too low. Ever.

The coaches yell at officials in football but if you do it in basketball, you get a tech foul.

Not most of the time, you don't. They usually let you yell until you've gone too far, unless the ref in particular has had a bad day.

So everyone has rules with different penalities, & that is part of growing up & respecting others & their rules. If you can't accept those rules, take your game somewhere else, I'm sure you will find something else to complain about. :(

I don't have a problem at all with following the rules. But what rules are we following? Each official has a different interpretation of the rulebook. Some guys will let ANYTHING go under the basket or in handchecks, some others will call little nit-picky junk that really didn't matter. Even worse is when they'll change their rules in the middle of a game. When EVERYBODY carries the ball when they're dribbling, you don't call somebody for a very slight carry with a minute left in a one-point game. And then ignore it when the guy carries it dribbling up the court off the inbounds pass from the call you just made.

My problem is with the consistency of the officials, both from crew to crew and from possession to possession. And I think most people have the same problem I do. It's not that we don't respect rules, it's that we don't know which rules to respect.