OAK RIDGE RECOGNITION

anspa

Anspa,

You might be surprised to know that Tennessee girls basketball has been recognize as being among the best for years and years. Yes, the teams OR played were good or they would not have been invited to the tournament.

However, nothing Class AAA Oak Ridge did the last several days should come as a surprise to people. OR, Shelbyville, Lawrence County, and White County have all been nationally ranked. Even Class AA teams like Jackson County, Livingston Academy, Meigs County, South Greene and Upperman have been considered Top 25 caliber. Also, Harding Academy and Briarcrest have been nationally ranked. I think Coffee County has been ranked in the past.

AAU teams from Memphis, Shelbyville Sports Shop and the Tennessee Stars have won multiple National Championships. There maybe others that I do not know about.

Tennessee girls basketball can hang with just about anybody.

I did a little Internet research on the success Tennessee girls basketball has had here is some of what I discovered:

...Tennessee teams have won 23 AAU National Championships. That puts them second on the list behind Louisiana's 24. A distant third is Ohio with 12. A total of twelve different Tennessee AAU programs have won championships.

...Over the last twenty years, Tennessee high school teams have been nationally ranked by USA Today 35 times with Shelbyville leading the way with 9 appearances. The 35 appearances places Tennessee second on the all-time list behind California's 42.

Finally, in my opinion, people who follow girls basketball nationally know that when they observe a team from Tennessee they will see a well coached, fundamentally sound team with developed skills and basketball smarts.

To learn more about Tennessee girls basketball, I recommend these two web sites (of course, CoachT.com would be at the head of the list).

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/baske...top25/flash.htm

http://www.eteamz.com/TNstars/

~~Take care, gotta go a fat guy in red is stuck in the chimney :D:):)

Steve