hallls tournament

d2wrestler

Guest russa44

zach thomason didnt wrestle due to got second and i think freel did win beating sven rombergprior engagements...i believe chip got first and HWT bj telfer...Farragut won the tournament and maryville placed 2nd

Guest russa44

sorry i dont know how that got all mixed up...what i was tryin to say was that zach didnt wrestle due to prior engagements...i think his brother chip got 2nd and freel won beating romberg 4 to 2

SOURCE www.hallsnews.com

(This is a local paper please visit their website for more information)

Halls Shopper News

PO Box 18295

Knoxville, TN 37928

Daley is best wrestler as Farragut wins Halls Invitational

Several area wrestlers posted top performances at the 20th annual Halls Invitational Saturday at Halls High School.

Seven local athletes appeared in the finals in their respective brackets and four of those finalists emerged with championship medals.

In the 103-pound division, Brandon Munsey of the Red Devils posted a 15-1 major decision victory over Farragut˜s Shawn Neely to claim the tournament title.

In the 112-pound division, Union County˜s Justin Campbell was runner-up to the Admirals˜ Erick Abercrombie, who claimed a 5-3 decision in a battle that showcased two of East Tennessee˜s best grapplers in the division.

"Justin wrestled tough at 112," Patriots coach Jason Moorman said. "Abercrombie is one of the best in the state."

In the 125-pound weight class, Alex Cate of Halls won a hard-fought 3-0 decision over Matt Casper of Karns.

As it turns out the 125-pound championship match provided just a little dose of the excitement on the horizon.

In the 140-pound division, Jeremy Branam of Halls prevailed over Farragut˜s Lee Cottrell in a double-overtime thriller. Cottrell is one of several ranked wrestlers on the Admirals squad. He boasts the fifth-place state ranking among 140-pound wrestlers.

That match received Best Match Honors at the tournament.

"That was a great match," Halls coach Chris Vandergriff said.

In the 145-pound division, the Patriots Lawrence Stoddard claimed the runner-up spot as he advanced to the finals but was pinned by Cumberland County˜s Jonathan Durham in 2:54. Durham was one of three Jets finalists from a team that wasn˜t even scheduled to be in the original 19-team field, which was set to add a 20th squad before inclement weather forced six teams, originally scheduled to attend, to withdraw from competition.

The tournament continued with a 13-team field with the Jets as a lone late entry.

Alcoa, Brentwood Academy, Davy Crockett, Roane County, Jefferson County, North Henderson (N.C.) and Whittley County (Ky.) were among tournament no-shows.

The late entry and cancellations caused a couple of delays as computers had to be updated, according to coach Vandergriff.

"We originally had everything seeded but that all changed when people didn˜t show up because of the weather," he said. "I usually pride myself on not making parents wait, but this year, I kind of got hung up in the middle.

"Our tournament is a hybrid and there were some things that the computer didn˜t handle as well as we thought it was going to."

Cancellations, computer glitches and bad weather aside, the tournament was as exciting as any high school wrestling fan could ask for and many sparks were provided by a Gibbs athlete.

Dane Daley, the Eagles˜ 152-pounder won the tournament championship over the Jets˜ Andrew Perez. Daley pinned Perez in 1:05 to claim the title as well as Outstanding Wrestler honors. The award winner was selected by the Halls High wrestling alumni.

Daley advanced to the finals with a pin of Chris Fustos of Halls in 2:15 of a semifinal match.

"I˜m pretty pleased with our team effort," Eagles coach Tim Pittman said. "Daley won a championship."

UCHS posted a runner-up finish in the 215-pound division as the Admirals Jeff Pereira took the championship with a 5-1 decision over the Patriots Ben Hazelett. Hazelett advanced to the bracket final with a victory over Chris Howerton, a Central High senior.

The Admirals took the team title Saturday with 251.5 points. Maryville finished second (199.5). Cumberland County was third (185.5). The host Red Devils placed fourth with 158.5 points, which surprised their coach.

"We finished fourth and that˜s kind of unusual for us," coach Vandergriff said. "We did a lot better than I expected."

Other highlights for Halls included a fourth-place finish for heavyweight Andy Jackson and a seventh-place finish for 215-pound freshman John Vandergriff. Kenny Shown had a sixth-place effort at 130 pounds. Chris Fustos took fourth as Josh Booker (UC) beat him in the 3rd place match.

Jackson earned his first tournament medal, according to coach Vandergriff.

Meanwhile, Union County, which has only six athletes on the team, entered the Halls Invitational with lofty expectations after strong finishes at some recent elite tournaments, including a sixth-place team finish at the recent 20-team Hillwood Invitational in Nashville.

Campbell˜s second place finish at Halls earned him a medal in the Patriots last four tournaments. Campbell finished fifth at Bradley Central and Woodford Co. (Ky.) and a third-place effort in Nashville.

Stoddard has placed in five consecutive tournaments, while competing at the 145- and 152-pound divisions. He is ranked fourth in the state at 145. Prior to his second-place finish at Halls, he took a championship at Hillwood. He placed third at the Ooltewah Invitational and at Bradley Central. He also posted a fourth-place finish in Kentucky.

Josh Booker (152 pounds), Chris Hazelett (160 pounds), Ben Hazelett (215) and James Ramirez (171) have also won some key matches during the Patriots recent surge.

Moorman, which has seen his team enjoy the recent success, seemed a little disappointed after his day at Halls.

"Our kids wrestled tough and I have a tough group of kids," Moorman said. "I thought we would have more champs and I was unhappy with a couple of calls.

"If we keep wrestling tough like I know we can then we should send four or five to state."

The Patriots, who took sixth place in the team standings with 109 points, got a pair of sixth-place individual finishes from Ramirez and Chris Hazelett.

The Eagles also enjoyed team success despite not having the services of Elee Puckett (103 pounds), who failed to make weight.

"He would have won this thing hands down," Pittman said of Puckett. "This would have just been child˜s play for him.

"He didn˜t make weight because we haven˜t practiced because of the snow. But he˜ll make weight from now on and I promise you that."

Gibbs finished in a seventh-place tie with Bearden (104 points). Eagles heavyweight D.J. Graves finished third. Chad Brock (130 pounds) took fourth and Matt Parker (a 140-pounder) placed fifth.

The Bobcats also enjoyed some modest success Saturday at Halls. Chris Howerton won the consolation final, taking third place in a tough 189-pound bracket. Sean Rakes took sixth at 125 pounds. Josh Hatfield earned an eighth-place finish in the 135-pound division. Elder Smith finished fifth in the 152-pound weight class. Forrest Meyers took fifth at 160 pounds.

Powell finished 10th at the meet with 83 points. Highlights for the Panthers included a fifth-place finish for Danny Brewer (171 pounds). Jacob Raggio claimed sixth in the heavyweight division with a win over Jackson.

Travis Jennings lost to John Vandergriff in the 215-pound consolation final thus taking eighth place.

Halls will host a junior varsity tournament Monday at 9 a.m.

Dual meet action continues Tuesday and Thursday for area teams but cancellations because of last week˜s snowstorm have caused the schedule to be adjusted. The Halls and Powell matches Tuesday at Maryville have been canceled.

The Regional Duals will be held Thursday with time and site to be determined. The KIL Meet will be Saturday at Catholic at 8 a.m.˜ Ken Lay