If you think you are right about your public stanc

The following is an editorial from the Jackson Sun.They have no biases. They simply state their opinion.

TSSAA shouldn't try to control schools' speech

Jan 21 2003

Undoubtedly, Mickey Marley, the highly successful head football coach at the University School of Jackson, has heard his share of comments about the athletic programs of public schools compared to private schools, debates about recruiting and the threats and the reality of lawsuits across the state.

So when Marley, following a federal court ruling on recruiting, said that "by the time they get it figured out, I'll be retired or dead,'' he may be right on target.

At issue is a lawsuit filed by football powerhouse Brentwood Academy against the Tennessee Secondary School Athletic Association, better known to thousands of players, fans and parents, as the TSSAA. The case made it to federal court because recruiting had become a issue worthy of U.S. Constitutional consideration. The question was whether Brentwood's First Amendment rights had been violated when it was fined and placed on probation by the TSSAA after officials from the Nashville private school talked to eighth-graders about spring football practice. That, said the TSSAA, was illegal.

At first blush, the First Amendment argument looks to be tenuous, at best. One would think the only First Amendment issue on autumn Friday nights is the right to call an official a boob for a perceived bad call. But the courts ruled that Brentwood had a point, that the TSSAA could not shut it up when it was talking about its school.

This court-sanctioned ability to talk up a school might seem to give the privates an advantage, and it might. But in Tennessee, even in Madison County, the public schools certainly can talk up the benefits of their schools. The new magnet schools can do it, should do it and do it. The existing publics can, and do it, too. Under the minority-majority policy, a student can pick the high school of his or her choice, if they would be in the racial minority.

The TSSAA should back off trying to control what people can and cannot say about their schools. Reason No. 1 is that it would be impossible to govern. Reason No. 2 is the court says so.

What the TSSAA should not do, however, is throw the baby out with the bath water. Already there is talk about lumping all private schools together and not letting them compete with the public schools for championships. This is wrong and mule-headed on several points: such segregation will not stop recruiting, it will only inflame it; it punishes the privates that have tried to follow the rules, like Jackson's three schools; and, when we last checked, the children who attend private schools are Tennesseans, just like the public school students. The powerful TSSAA, a state agency by the way (as ruled by the U.S. Supreme Court), should not throw those schools into a corner with a ball. The TSSAA needs to, and must, represent them as well.

With the ruling, the ball now returns to the TSSAA's court. Here's hoping it won't be fumbled.

http://miva.jacksonsun.com/miva/cgi-bin/mi...200301214585123

What are your thoughts?

VG

...just popped in to see what the current crisis is and how all the gang is doing...

..."The following is an editorial from the Jackson Sun.They have no biases. They simply state their opinion."...

...this is a joke, right VG?...everyone in West Tennessee knows that USJ will NEVER need a school newspaper as long as the Jackson Sun is still circulating!...

...btw, is Chicken Little, errr I mean ELA still doing his "the sky is falling" routine? :o ...

I have said this before but let me state for everyone that I think Volunteer General is the most stubborn person on this web site. Everyone has the right to say what they want but you are so one sided you can't see the truth or honesty from anyone other than those who happen to agree with you. Come work in Nashville Metro Schools and see how this thing really works. We care about our students and work ahrd to provide them with a great education. You are wrong on so many subjects that it just drives me crazy.

[Edited by caesar on 1-23-03 4:08P]

Caesar....I don`t have a problem with you call me names like pig headed. However, coacht doesn`t care for that type of thing here. I see you went back and edited your post, but even as I go back to reread it, you still did nothing to respond to the original post. The original post was a copy and paste from the Jackson Sun`s own editorial staff. this wasn`t something sent in by a reader. I offered no opinion`s in that post. Just wanted those here to know that even though the public school coaches may be voting on what they think is best for them(public coaches), there are others out there besides myself who think a split is not the best idea. If you have a problem with the editorial then you should snap off a letter or e-mail to the Jackson Sun.

VG