UTC.v.s.Carson-Newman

Guest ACS

Just wanted to remind everyone that UTC wrestles Carson-Newman at UTC Thursday at 7:00 at Maclellan Gym, it got moved up from Friday. Come support college wrestling in Tennessee.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question also and was wondering if anyone on here could answer it and to clarify something for me.

I just glanced at the Chattanooga paper on 2/5 and saw that UTC is affected by the budget cuts in the state. It was saying something about cutting two sports programs and that they had to be men's program's because of Title IX. I am not positive on this info cause I just glanced at the paper but if the programs are to be cut wrestling would surely be near the top of the list. I am not sure of the programs all the programs that they offer, but off the top of my head I can think of Cross Country, Track & Field, Basketball, Football, Tennis, Golf, Soccer and Wrestling. Someone please clarify this for me, thanks.

I'm not sure about the budget cuts at UTC, but you are right in thinking that wrestling is probably at the top of their list, which really stinks. Probably one of the leading factors in deciding to cut a college program in order to satisfy Title XI is dollar bills. Personally in my opinion it should be based on success of the program, or lack there of. Case in point, the UTC football team. Look over the course of history. Which program has been more successful at UTC, wrestling or football? Now don't get me wrong, I love college football and always have. But not every college football team brings in big money to the school like a UT, Ohio State, Florida, etc. The smaller, less competitive programs eat more than they make. So, if UTC is looking to cut a couple of men's programs maybe they should take a glance at the old gridiron.

Please no more mention of false rumors; don't give anyone any ideas.

Let's keep this post about supporting UTC tonight; the best way to save any program is to have that program heavily supported. There was a good showing of attendence at the Illinois match, and there needs to be a good one tonight. With the only wrestling show in town tonight we should pack the place and be vocal. See you tonght at the Mac.

Since pantheon is thinking outside the box for creative ways to increase funding for the UTC program.... At the Ill/UTC match, coach Eslinger and the Ill national champ exhibition match was a great addition. How about a match between 2 UTC alumni, coaches Newman and Logsdon. Now that would draw a crowd! How about coaches Connell and Morgan, Henry(easy on the neck) and Jackson, Vandergriff and Miller, Brooks and Crawford? Let's draw the Nashville crowd with Pat Simpson vs Danny "let's talk about this" Gilbert. Charge extra for admission. The early walkenvol line is Newman-6, Connell-fall, Jackson-8, Miller-5, Brooks-1, Gilbert-1.

How undeciding and unfulfilling would this add? A bunch of old people trying to wrestle.HEHEHE!!! Come on...look at your match-ups...Newman and Logsdon how much of a weight difference is that? Is your name "Tattoo" cause I swear your living on "Fantasy Island". Only you can dream. L8er!!! ;)

DMX - I figured that Logsdon was the only coach tough enough to go with Newman. I can substitute Coach Levitt for Newman. He goes just over 160 lbs, but in the walkenvol line Levitt would tech Logsdon. I calculated the line thinking that Newman would cut him some slack due to the weight advantage. We need to add coach Lennon of ND to the lineup also. Who's left that could give him a go? Shack?