Tournament Time in Tennessee

marcvols

I'm of the opinion that the high school basketball tournament in Tennessee is far from what it should be; I say this as I've witnessed the excitement of high school tournaments in 3 other states. I believe that allowing teams to lose and advance is ridiculous. I also think that this tournament method is hurting the potential growth of high school basketball. When teams are given second and third chances, more often than not, the best teams will win. While on the surface this may seem like a good idea, it does not allow for that underdog/cinderella story that captures us at other times (like the NCAA tournament).

The state tournament in Murfreesboro appears stagnant; I'm amazed that one ticket will get you four games (this is not the case elsewhere). The tournament,as is, attracts more city based teams that usually don't have a large crowd base so the atmosphere is not what it could be. Additionally, the current format allows for multiple repeat appearances for programs (this creates less excitement among fans).

I would love to see a single elimination format implemented. This makes the tournament more meaningful and therefore creates excitement among communities/regions.

I know that the first opposition to this will be "the TSSAA wants as many games as possible to make more money". I offer that the excitement created by a single elimination tournament would increase fan base and general interest in the long run. If it works well in Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Alabama,etc., why not here?

Agree/ Disagree?

Personally, I would like to see the following:

District champs and runners-up move on to the region. Even numbered regions play four games (two girls, two boys) the following Tuesday, winners meet in the finals on Thursday. Odd numbered regions play Wednesday, Friday. The eight region champs move on to the state. No substate.

I would like to see a tournament where they do away with the district tournament (you've played those teams enough) and move everyone to the region level ( you accomplish this by combining two geographically located districts - 1 & 2. 3 & 4, etc.). At the tournament meeting, coaches vote to seed anywhere from 2 to 4 teams; the rest draw blind for the right to place themselves in the bracket. Seed 1 places first, seed 2 must go opposite, seed 3 places themselves in the bracket with seed 2, and seed 4 places themselves in the bracket with seed 1; after the seeded teams are placed you proceed with the team wih pill 1 from the blind draw, then pill two, then pill 3, etc. until the bracket is full. Coaches must consider their voting seriously or they may be in the same bracket with a tougher team (coaches tend not to cheat with this system). Depending on the total number of teams, there may be no byes or several byes - remember, the seeded teams place themselves first so they usually will take a bye if available.

You would have one champion from a region tournament and then there could be two options. If you want 8 teams to advance to state, the region champs advance. If you want 4 teams to advance, 2 region champs would play for the right to go to Murfreesboro.

All games should be played at neutral sites.

A team would have to win anywhere from 4 to 6 straight games to advance to state. Anyone that accomplishes that, is most deserving considering the level of competition.

You would also minimize teams playing 4 or 5 games against the same opponent during the year; this is ridiculous ( White Co. vs. Columbia Central, Science Hill vs. D-B/Tennessee High, Clinton vs. Oak Ridge, in the past to name a few) (Probably, Maryville vs. Bearden/William Blount this year).

[Edited by marcvols on 2-8-03 11:19A]