Question for CoachB22

donnautnut

Could you please explain to me your comment about how public Magnet Schools like Hume-Fogg has a larger talent pool than other 2AA public schools?

I do not understand your reasoning. If anything your school would have less talent because these kids are going to school for academics instead of FP. Isn't that what the school is made for, academics instead of sports? Until a few years ago Hume-Fogg has never been known for FP but Lipscomb has been. Why now are they winning and not in the past? Did they just now get this great talent that you are now referring too? So are you saying that the magnet schools are now going for sports instead of academics?

:D:D;)

I have been playing Hume Fogg it seems like forever. They played hard, wanted to win, but were not very competitive. Seemed like every year they had new girls and a new coach. Hard to build tradition that way. Observation, not a criticism. The about face is because they have a coach who is in his 4th year now. Coach Conditt has brought a passion, work ethic, and knowledge of softball to Hume Fogg. Girls are coming out who never wanted to play before. When you look at his dugout you see happy, competitive athletes. Went to the state last year. Their turn a round starts with him.

Donnautnut,

Hume Fogg is ALL about academics...make no mistake. To be an athlete at HFA you really have to want it. Athletics is way down the list of priorities for the faculty and staff. Yet I'm told they have the one of the highest percentages of student body sports participation in the state.

Yes, they do have a special group of girls right now. Things have come together nicely. They wouldn't be nearly as good if they didn't have John Conditt. As pointed out, he has brought a firm, consistent, caring foundation on which these girls HAVE built. It will continue if given a chance. Freshmen and Sophomores are working hard now so they can be starters and share the success. Success breeds success. Ask Coach Davis (or your coach for that matter).

Now the talent pool issue. I'll say again, HFA is somewhere between a private school like Lipscomb and a zoned public school. By receiving kids from all over Davidson County, even with the lottery thing, HFA has a broader reach than the zoned public school. Combine that with the fact that most of the kids know the rewards of hard work, dicipline, and perseverance, (all valuable athletic traits), and you have a better chance of having competitive athletic teams. Maybe only a slight advantage over the zoned school but an advantage none the less. In my opinion, if HFA had the gyms, sports fields, booster clubs, and training facilities that some of the other inner city schools have, they would be awesome.

Of course that would conflict with the academics and that is a conflict that will not be allowed to exist. As was explained to me by the principal, "People don't send their children to Hume Fogg to be an athletic star, they send them to be an academic star. That is HFA's mission". (A rather diplomatic NO to my request I must say.)

I hope that answers your questions. My brain works much faster than my fingers so things get left out or poorly explained.

Butch :)

Coach B22

It sounds like Hume-Fogg does have a very special group of young ladies. It looks like you also have a very dedicated coach who knows how to motivate and get the very best out of his players. It takes players with talent for the sport along with a coach that knows how to get the best out of each player inorder to be competitive.

I guess it shows that brains and athletic ability are possible and has been shown by your softball team. Hume-Fogg is open to any child in Davidson County no matter where they live-the Projects or Bellevue. They only have to be exceptionally bright to go, with no money or athletic talent required to get in.

Maybe we will see you in tournament play since I don't believe you are on our schedule. Looking forward in keeping up with your team. :D:D:D