Bat Selection

ERA

Bat Selection

Bats to ball players are like shoes. Some fit and some don˜t. They come in all different shapes, weights and sizes not to mention materials. The players˜ preference is not always the correct choice when selecting a bat but should be taken into account when bat size and weight are decided upon by their coach/parent/batting coach.

Not too many years ago, the choices were few and the decision process was much easier to make. You could either swing it or you couldn˜t. Today, the complexities involved can be insurmountable to anyone. Information overload best describes what most experience if they try to analyze what is best for them. Below are SOME of the things I use when judging bat types and sizes.

1. I usually look at the player and see how she is built. Does she have strong legs, shoulders and arms? This establishes strength needed to swing a heavier bat with greater action off of the bat surface to get that long ball out of the infield consistently.

2. Can they swing the bat and drive it through the zone without ˜looping˜ the swing or dropping the hands (shown by swinging under the ball or always popping it up)? It is imperative that the swing is right. If looping occurs and is not corrected soon, it will take more time to un-train. The one step forward, two steps backward problem.

3. The grip can be too large or too small. This usually is not determined by the size of the hand but by the feel to the batter. Some prefer large diameter grips even though they may have small hands and the same can be said about the larger handed players preferring the small grip.

4. How the weight is distributed across the length of the bat plays a very important part in the selection process. If your player has strong wrists with a strong upper body and can whip a heavier bat with great control through the zone, the ˜End Loaded˜ bats are the supreme choice for this type of player. These bats are usually in the Minus 8-9 category. This represents the length (33 inches) minus the weight (24 oz) for the length to weight ratio. They typically are shorter in length, heavier around the ˜Sweet Spot˜ area but have more pop characteristics upon contact where the ˜End Loaded" term was derived.

However, if the player is more of a slight build or has small angular features with weaker wrists, the bat of choice should have a more balanced approach. This is usually a bat described under the old technological term of ˜Bottle Bat˜. This bat has a long barrel with a larger sweet spot usually of thin wall and a minus ratio of (Minus 10-12) such as 33 in. length and 23-21oz.weight.

5. Selections are also different for how trained the batter is. A big strong player with little experience may want the heavy bat but my suggestion would be first to train with something light to make sure the hands are going through the zone properly with tons of repetition. Once the mechanics have been established in muscle memory, the heavier bat can be applied.

6. Can they keep the hands inside for the proper swing of an inside pitch? You may hear someone refer to hitting the ball out front on an inside pitch but to the players˜ mind it is usually interpreted to swing earlier with a ˜too early˜ result. That usually causes them to pull the ball foul over the third base dugout or miss the ball entirely. This is caused by not keeping the hands inside. The barrel continues to loop around and pulls the ball out. Keeping the hands inside with proper technique will drive that inside strike to left or left center field. I mention this for one reason. A too heavy bat for the player will not allow for that kind of bat control. That is why the lighter bats are so important. The long ball is great but pure form and total bat control will take you where you want to go.

The above is just a short synopsis covering a much larger scope of the problems involved. I hope these things I have shared help those that are struggling with their decisions about which bat to use. Just don˜t fall into the trap of ˜Bigger is Better˜. It may be for a select few but not everyone. Get the bat that best helps you make solid contact wherever the ball may be pitched in the ˜Strike Zone˜!

:D

ERA you have said a great deal here, BUT an important detail may have been overlooked. The length of the bat should be considered according to a player's height. You don't want a kid that has a long strike zone to swing a 32" bat. She will not be able to reach the outside corner without crowding the plate. A good pitch selection here would be to throw her inside to back her off and then an outside corner out of her reach pitch. Many players buy a bat based solely on the weight. They like to have the lightest bat possible, and unknowingly give up two inches of length in order to have a 21 ounce bat. This is so ridiculous. In the old days (lol) when I played, we had heavier bats. I am sure the COR of the ball may have also varied, but hits were made. Physics teaches us that F=ma. To put that into understable terms: The force with which you hit the ball is equal to the mass of the bat times the acceleration of the swing. Now, yes, I know that a lighter bat will generate a faster swing, and the above mentioned seems inversely proportional. It is like hitting a golf ball with a driver or a 5 iron. Your swing is pretty consistantly the same, but more mass can equal greater distance (force). My point here is about the length of bat being chosen by players. They (the lesser schooled players) buy lighter weight bats for bat speed and disregard length. Keep in mind the length of the players strike zone (armpit to knee) and can the player hit a ball on the outside corner standing in a normal batting stance (not crowding the plate!!!). Bat length is important. Good Luck!!

bgmrlh, you're right on about the length. The circles I run in stress the length the most but leave off the weight. Like I said, not all of the information is on this post but it should give an idea of the pitfalls they may find themselves in after spending $300 for a bat and can't swing it. At that point, the parent says you better grow into it. I believe between our posts, a good general rule of thumb can be established for those that just don't know. Thanks for your input! ;)