Should coaches feel obligated to do this?

mocs30

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet you money that the parent put it in his head too! They are the worst. They try to live their dreams through their children. One parent a couple of years ago chased me and the head coach out of this gym. He said that we didn't leave her in long enough for her to be productive. She was a role player and we needed a board so she was called upon. A great coach once told me that you only need 5 players to play a game and you don't lose with seniors on the floor!

I heard the coach offered to help with recruiting, but that the Dad and the coach had differing opinions as to where Kyle could play. The Dad wanted SEC and other major D-I and the coach didn't think he could play at that level. Who knows if it's true, but Blevins has certainly been known to help his players in the past with recruiting. :confused:

As I've stated before, I FIRMLY believe coaches should help in any way possible in the Recruiting process.....

But....

1)Kids do need to realize their limitations. The kid in question is NOT a D-1 player... Hate to say it, but it's true. He's a very good player that would excel at Maryville

College or Lincoln Memorial, etc..... but he's not a D-1 guy, so if he is mad that his coach is not helping him reach SEC, then, come on now and get real....

2)I don't know the coach, but he must be doing something for his kids. Alex Oliver shocked me last year and signed D-1, which is higher than I thought he would go. Robinson signed last year as well... So it looks like this Coach does do something for his kids...

3)This is NOOOOOOOO reason to let your teammates and your school down by quitting!!! So what if he didn't get much help. Most kids don't get any help getting pushed to the next level by their HS coaches. At this point, you just have to do what you can do, play to your utmost ability, and find other sources to push the kid's rep, be it family, AAU coach, etc.... but don't go and QUIT........

Guest CoachLEH

This thread is cool and hits a great topic.

It's my opinion ...

1)That if a coach is taping games for school use, he should be willing to let a player check the tape out and make themselves a copy for their use.

1a) I DO NOT think it is the coach's responsibility to make a bunch of copies to send to all the schools that any player may want them to send them to.

2) I think it IS the responsibility of the coach to be willing to talk to coaches that are interested in their player

3) I think a coach should be willing to do a cover letter for a player telling a potential college their opinion on that player's assets etc.

Beyond that I think it's whatever a coach can or cares to fit into his job. I would be surprised if any coach had a clause in their contract that obligated them in this area. I think the good ones just do it!