Cumberland University opening

eyeonu

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the decision were left up to the players, which unfortunately it is not, Coach Pope would be the obvious choice. Anyone that had a stong affiliation with the program (players, coaches, and staff) was able to see the hard work that he put in. In the unfortunate decent of Jana's career, there were many times that he had to step up in to the lead role, and did an excellent job. I feel that Pope could really turn this program around, however if Cumberland doesn't grab him, whoever does will definitely see success in their future.

I also believe that Coach Pope is the right person for the job. Both he and Jana were doing a good job -- the program was not in good shape when she took over. They had lost many player's from the program. I believe that she and her staff would have gotten Cumberland back to the Nationals.

Sometimes wins and losses can be deceiving. Not only are they in a tough conference but also played a very tough non-conference schedule. Jana was a good coach and what I consider to be Cumberland's loss will be someone else's gain.

From my understanding they have only 10 scholarships, which is not fully funded. Also, I think they must carry 16-18 people on these scholarships. This is not fully funded is it.

I believe that Trevecca, Union, Freed Hardeman, and several other schools in the TranSouth are fully funded with no minumum number of players required. Funny, aren't they the ones in the Nationals.

Sorry Eddie -

NAIA max scholarships is 11 which includes tuition, room and board, fees, and books.

Cumberland has 10, tuition, room and board. In my opinion, with the numers required (from my understanding, this isw not including the JV program - they I think have separate numbers) this would average out to a lot less than a full scholarship.

I know of some recruits that need to know who is going to be there next year so they can make a decision. Hopefully the decision will come by the end of this week. I think that Coach Williams had her mind and heart going in the right direction, but there are some things she could not control and some she could have. A new batch to go with what is still there will help make a winning program. Freed did it with alot of Freshman and so can CU. The base is there, now just add height and all will be on the right track.

It is possible to fully fund a team of 15 if some of the players get finacial aid or academic scholarships. This frees up some money to give to other players. That is how Freed and Union do it. The difference for them is that some good players are willing to go there for pocket change just to be a part of a good program. If CU gets the program going in the right direction, they will pull more talent for less money.

you're right, cumberland does not fully fund athletic programs. cuts are being made for next year, too. i play on the softball team, and alot of girls have had to transfer because they were not getting enough money. also, we are required to have a minimum number of players. this forces coaches to have a disadvantage when it comes to recruiting.

All the speculation aside, whoever gets the job is going to need some players who can play. CU has several pretty good players but not a "difference maker". The next coach needs some height and some athleticism on the perimeter. They have three decent point guards that all bring something to the table. The freshman from Smyrna brings quicks and athleticism, the junior transfer from Wayne County via Martin Methodist brings experience and the ability to score the ball, although she is a little small. The kid to look out for is the freshman from Richland, she has a little speed, quickness and athleticism and she can score. She played nearly 40 minutes a night for Coach Pope's J.V. program and got valuable experience. They have one true post returning, that is the problem.