Sports, Kids and Parents

Sidetrain

Sports, Kids and Parents

Dear Coach,

I have always believed that the greatest tragedy that could happen in any sport is for a kid, with immense talent and ability, to go undiscovered. A kid that doesn't have much fun at his first attempts gives up and quits.

I have some relatives and good friends that have young kids just starting out in sports. I have heard them talk of having the same problems my parents and I went through when I started 33 years ago.

I remember the problems very well. I remember the solutions my parents and I came up with. I remember how well they worked for us and how much more I enjoyed the game because of what they did for me.

You work with kids of exceptional parents. The kind of parents that want their kids to be the best they can be.

Most of this story is from a kid's point of view. It's my point of view, back when I was a kid. It's been a long time but sports, kids and parents are still the same.

The secret to successful sports is very simple; The more fun you have in a sport, the better you get and the better you are at a sport, the more fun you have.

Maybe this can give some of your students' parents a better understanding of their kids' point of view of the game.

I hope this is helpful.

Sincerely,

Hal (The Big Bopper) Skinner

Read this from Hal's book I thought that you may want to read if you are a kid or parent

:D