Congratulations Megan Settlemire !!!

GovMan

Megan put in a pretty good two days work in leading William Blount's girls to the Blount County Championship.

She finished first in the long jump ... high jump ... triple jump ... pole vault ... 100M hurdles ... 300M hurdles ... and anchored the Lady Gov's first place 4 x 400 team.

If you're counting, that's SEVEN first place finishes.

Overall, the Wm. Blount girls --and guys --ran away with both championships.

Proud GovMan

Congrats to Megan and both WB teams, they handed us two tough losses! I don't mean to be giving excuses but something just didn't seem right with us and you guys took advantage perfectly, you had a great overall team effort. We'll attempt to get some glory back at the regional Decathalon and Penathalon meets. So maybe with our lineup we can gain some respect (since they now have ours) from the Govs...congrats on winning your first girls Blount County Championship in 9 years and your (I think) 3rd or 4th straight boys Blount County Championships!

MaryvilleReb,

What's up with the high school team? It seems like some of the some of the great distance runners and field event people that we've grown accustomed to seeing for the Rebels just aren't out this year. Is it temporary?

I know on the middle school level ... my daughter runs for Carpenters ... that Maryville is still dominating all of the local teams. I also remember that last year, the middle school team beat all the county teams. Should we look for Maryville to return to the top of the heap in the next year or two?

I'm very impressed with WB's coach (Frary) . He reallys seems to get a lot out of some athletes that are usually pretty average when they arrive on campus at WB.

Oh yeah ... Katie Bledsoe not running for your girl's team hurts .. don't you think? Next to the Dean girl at Alcoa, Katie probably would have been second fastest high school runner around.

GovMan

Yea, we've had several attempts to talk Katie Bledsoe into running track, but its all to no avail. We just seem to have a lack of spirit for the team this year, especially for girls. Field events are still pretty strong for Maryville, Monday was a terrible day...for all of us (except Waters). You guys beat us bad, and we couldn't do anything about it...we didn't bring our A game and it showed. We're still a pretty strong team, but Monday and Tuesday we didn't show it. We always have strong middle school teams, but thats only due to sheer numbers. Once they reach high school they tend to stop coming due to the fact that they actually have to run rather than just jog to the BP for slushies. Our 4x4 is usually our strongest event, yesterday it was lacking due to Carl having 3 open races and Dave Garner having a hurt ankle. I ran the 3rd leg of the race and I'd never ran it before in competition (at all) so we went pretty deep to find runners for the race. I just think we got beat by William Blount, no real excuses, they just had more people, more talent, and we didn't bring the tools we needed to inorder to win, especially on Monday. Like I said, we'll have 6 competitors for the Decath and Pentath who will be raring to go on Monday and Tuesday...hopefully we can represent our school in a good fashion.