Football Officiating

susie

Say what you want about Stewart, but he's big time now. He does alot of ACC and SEC basketball. He was reffing the Tennessee State game this year when so many players and coaches got ejected. He was also an alternate ref for the Final Four .. which basically means he got to go to New Orleans and enjoy the games.

I know he made some enemies when he was reffing locally, but not a bad guy when you get to know him.

And what the heck, let the rocks fly ... all you Rebs keep mentioning those calls at WB a few years back, but I've heard nobody mention the "phantom" clip called in this years game when Jose' Russell was on his way back with a 90+ yard interception return that very well could have provided the momentum the Govs would have needed to pull off the upset. Would it have made a difference? Maybe not. And I wouldn't use it for an excuse, but it's just funny what calls you remember and what calls you don't. I will always agree that what happened at Heritage was a travesty. That was just ineptitude on the part of the referees. You can argue the WB game that year but THEY WERE judgement calls at least, not ignorance of legitimate rules.

GovMan

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First hcaoc is correct. Blackstock had the '99 Heritage game. GQ called a time-out and asked him repeatedly if he was sure about his "ruling." In his mind at the time, Heritage "won" the game. In other words,"Too bad MHS we don't know the rules on a 4th down dead ball foul." Heritage did push around MHS and outplayed them, but so did UT in the 2000 Florida game that they lost. Bottom line is Blackstock and Co. were wrong and went to MHS to say so the following week. A friend of mine who refs in the KFL told me that blunder was the subject of their high school officials meeting the following week, back in '99.

Gov-Man are you referring to the "phantom " block that Drew Galyon took on the back of his leg? Looked like a clip to me. As far as the '99 Blount game goes, that was the most upset that I have ever seen "classy" George Quarles. And I can understand why. After 3 penalties in OT to keep Blount alive, he was upset that another flag was not called for a Blount player picking Maples off of Owens on their score. Then I really enjoyed the "classy" fire set by someone after their "win". Pyromania was in the air. Oh well, some people just handle wins better than others. Reminded me of Detroit when the Red Wings won the Stanley Cup. Surprised that no cars or pick-ups were not overturned.

Little susie, "Big Al" was my pal. Along with Conley, Terry Bryant, and the "Minner" flash James Black. I was more of a Parkway and Druid Hill Drive-In man myself. Big Dad could coach circles around Rainbow. Case in Point....A ref friend of mine was doing a HHS game when Rainbow was there and told me this story.....Rainbow says, "HEY, HEY, HEY, HEY, James go in there and take Trentham out." Then James replies, "But coach I AM TRENTHAM!!" Classic Rainbow...

As far as "gettin jiggy with it." I too am happily married. I figured a girl like you would be more into "knockin da boots." You know like Herman's, Red Wings, or what ever kind of boots "da" Co-op "sellz." Go Rebs.

Edited by STARSNBARS

Stars,

Good post. #1 - as I said earlier, the Heritage fiasco was unforgiveable. #2 - I can understand why George was so upset in the WB game that year. As a Gov fan, it was unbelieveable. And yes, I agree that a "pick" could have been called. #3 - if you can get your hands on a copy of the game tape from this past year's game, watch the interception and see if you REALLY see a clip.

And cujos for the Big Dad reference. He was "my dad" for a couple of years. I appreciate him more now than I did then.

GovMan

Gov-Man I think I REALLY saw a clip. Anyway, Blount still had the ball in great field position and turned it over the next play. Maryville promptly took the ball back downfield and ran it in, instead of trying to pass it in on the 1 yard line. I'm not taking anything away from Blount, their D was as good as anyone we saw in the regular season, except maybe for Central. The thing that hurt Blount last season was a lack of a running game from the RB position imo. They made a nice adjustment early by spreading the field and letting Wojo run the ball. Of course, Tipton not playing MLB that game, made that go a lot better. That was just good coaching. The Blount coaches stated later something like 'Maryville's depth showed in the 2nd half' and I believe that had the ring of truth to it. Go Rebs.

Gov man, I concur, no clip. Starz, I concur, William Blount should have scored! WB coaching staff, I concur, depth was an issue!

Blackstock, there's another winner! I can't believe we haven't put him up there with Russell and Reynolds.

Big Dad is the man...no doubt! I wonder if he has ever been to Nebo?

Let me drop some more names for you Starz. The Bryants were definitely playaz, but I was always so jealous of that beautiful cheerleader from Friendsville (about all of them were beautiful). I think her name was Brown, can't remember her first name, but she had the most blue eyes I have ever seen. The boyz loved her!

Which of these rebels did you play with?

Was it my first date, Mark Hasty and Danny Ray.

Was it my lake date Kenny Yunker and Mike Casteel?

Was it my Druid Hill "Walking Tall" date...Larry Headrick?

I am sure I have gotten you close. Larry was so awesome that I didn't need two that night!

I have since slowed down though. I too am happily married to an assistant hospital administrator. Not too bad for a Mountain girl. Speaking of hospital administrators, and good officials. Joe Dawson is in a league of his own for Blount County Officials.

Also, Kenny Coulter, was a gem in his day! Never showy, always professional, never trying to take the game away from the playaz!

Gov man...no comment on Phelps by Friday? Or am I jumping threads?

Love you boyz :ph34r:

Little susie, Danny Ray. Little susie speaking of Larry's, were you sweet on Larry "Boy Dog" Robinson? Big Dad had to have been through Nebo, since he was an ole Townsend boy. Nebo, Lover's Lane, and Cars Creek have so much in common.

reff Dee Dee was cute, but I also thought that Tammy was cuter. Little susie, I heard you talking about her "blue eyes." You didn't load those Nebo Mountain logs from both sides of the truck did you? Go Rebs.

Edited by STARSNBARS

Well I know it appears to some that I may be bilingual among other things. Dee Dee was her name and Tammy was pretty too! Reff, I can't seem to entice you like I do Starz! Starz, I am going to start calling you dreamy because you are soooooo dreamy!

I really didn't like those girls because I was sooo jealous! They always dated the good football playaz in their good lookin' uni's! I love lookin' at those boys now!

I am assuming most of you boyz were just average playaz, because you had time to sit on the bench and analyze what your coach did or did not do wrong.

Do you think in 20 years there will be Drew Galyon, Kevin Hagy, Randy Swafford, and Meschendorff, sitting around on this computer with pseudonyms poking fun at each other and everyone else that cares to give a gander?

Ooops, did I say Meschendorff? Maybe 20 years is here before you know it!

Love you boyz :D

Susie ... you know too much,

A big score for the Avron "Super" Crosby reference. Didn't he wack out and go postal on somebody with a knife? What about Scott "Jaques" Kidd? He used to wear some really tight jeans during softball games.

Did I catch a "Bryant boys" reference? Would that be Franklin, Terry, Ricky Lee, and Rodney? Coach Wallace once told us that Ricky Lee was the only person he knew who could go out at halftime of the girl's game and smoke a cigarette under the shed and then come back in, suit up, and lead the boys to victory. Of course, just as Colby has his Shaq, Ricky had his "Big Al."

And how about the Larry "Boydog" Robinson name drop? Older brother of Junior and Meathead. Oh yeah, sister Tammy also. If not mistaken, they all grew up with their folks in a single wide trailer over Miser Station way.

And perhaps one of the highlights of my senior year was a "liplock" I once shared with the brown haired, blue eyed beauty, Dee Dee Brown. Actually, she was way out of my league ... but you know what they say about blind hogs.

Here's a name with both Heritage and WB ties for you ... speak to this ... Randy Holmes. Ring any bells?

A question for the board. Did "Super" or former well known Maryville resident, Joe Love, walk the most miles on the streets of Murvul?

Little susie, Did I hear your first man from "Evvurt" was Ricky Kenney? Or Mark Stinnett?

Do you remember the big scrap that Doug Garner and Charlie Conley had? Was that over the affections both had for Little susie?

Gov-Man, Friendsville has something in the water. I mean look at the Robinson's (I'm only paying compliments Jimbo), the McClellan's, the Lane's etc.....All beauties. I remember after football season going to the old Jaycee classic at Maryville College and watching Big Dad's Cheerleaders err....I mean good basketball teams. Those were the "dayz".

Was Randy Holmes a relative of John? Go Rebs.

Edited by STARSNBARS