why won't onedia play scott high

pig

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh-oh. Here we go. :)

It's true that the Scott High coaches have tried to resurrect the old Oneida/Scott High rivalry. I agree that the potential is there for it to be the state's best rivalry... but as much as I would like to see it happen, I don't think it's a good idea. There is too much hatred between these two schools. Granted, it is a silly hatred, mostly spurred by jealousy from a very few people at Scott High and bigotry from a very few people at Oneida... but unfortunately, the voices of the minority tend to be strong sometimes. I guess those few on either side make it appear that the rift between the two is worse than it actually is but here's the truth of the matter: You see what it is like right now (remember the Scott/Anderson County basketball game in February and the flack that followed???)... I mean, we've had some fights, or at least attempted fights, between players from both schools in recent years, etc. And these schools don't even play each other. Imagine what it would be like if they really did have a rivalry going on...

That said, I think the two schools have taken great strides in recent years at reconciling their differences and getting along... as far as sports programs, we now have Scott players participating in Oneida's golf program and Oneida players participating in Scott's track & field program. So the tide is turning. Hopefully that will continue. It's a shame that we can't be like Morgan County. Morgan County has four high schools, all of which play one another and three of which compete in the same region. There is certainly no love lost among them but they do have respect for their fellow schools and the rivalries down there seem, at least on the surface, to work very well.

Also I think one factor that doesn't bode well for the two schools playing is size difference. Oneida is a 360-student school; Scott is an 800+-member school. Oneida is single A (though I think they're borderline moving to AA when reclassification comes around) and Scott 3A. Some years, Oneida would beat Scott handedly. But probably the majority of the time, Scott would beat Oneida. I know that last year, with Jordan Jeffers, Derek Boshears, etc., Scott would have probably dominated Oneida. . . And that's not a good indication of what either team is made of, especially from Oneida's point-of-view, because they perform much, much better in their classification than Scott does in theirs.

I dunno... Maybe there is a solution that would get these two schools back on the gridiron against each other. It would be a fantastic rivalry if it weren't for the ill feelings from the parents, in my humble little opinion. :)

Considering that schedules and contracts between all schools are usually filled out in two year increments it would be very difficult to just "create" a game for "rivalry's" sake on the spur of the moment. With the upcoming reclassifications regarding the change with the private school enrollment, no classifications are for certain. Furthermore, this topic seems to come up quite frequently, why is it so imperative for a 3A school to play a 1A school?

Too bad Scott High doesn't worry about teams in their region as much as they do Oneida. If they worried more about games that matter, maybe they would do better.

Well listen I defend Oneida but that might be a bit of a cheap shot.... Austin East, Fulton and Anderson County, not to mention Kingston, offer a little tougher slate than Greenback, CAK, Coalfield and Midway.

Yup, they do, that's why it looks like a good idea for the coaches to not worry about A Oneida and worry about their region. Right or wrong? I don't see how it's a cheap shot. Most people shoot to win or compete for a playoff spot They actually have a rivalry in their region, or at least classification. When the biggest thing going is trying to get a single A school to play you so you can have a rivalry, something should be fixed. Just my $0.02

I'm pretty sure you and I have discussed this before. :unsure:

Edited by CrushMonster

Well you're pretty much right, Monster. I was just trying to rattle your cage a bit. ;)

I think your... eh, how shall we say?... assistant... must have told. You would never have been smart enough to figure it out alone. ;)

Now pardon me while I slip back into my hole and find another identity to use. :D

Edited by WrittenWord

It's a shame that we can't be like Morgan County. Morgan County has four high schools, all of which play one another and three of which compete in the same region. There is certainly no love lost among them but they do have respect for their fellow schools and the rivalries down there seem, at least on the surface, to work very well.

The rivalry between the Morgan teams is a good case study for several things. The Morgan County School system several years ago chose not to have a Consolidated Comprehensive High School centrally located for various reasons, the type of problem you have in Scott is one aspect of that decision concern that students from different schools could not get along and to keep them separate would be safer. When Scott had Robbins High, Norma, Huntsville, and Oneida, Morgan Schools played all those Scott Schools. Morgan schools now only play Oneida on a consistent basis due to the Region 2A alignment.

This is not to be a treatise on conslidated/comprehisive schools, but these large schools are a major reason for Private schools stepping to the forefront. While not a neighborhood school (which I support and strongly believe in) a private school is the next best thing.

Now to the rivalry aspect. Coalfield and Wartburg have a huge interclassification rivalry. The darn record is just a little over .500 in favor of Wartburg. As for Coalfield, Sunbright, and Oakdale the rivalry is there but there is such a diffence in programs from year to year at two of those schools it is not consistent.

There is mutual respect from all schools in the County.

Heck, we still have that Old time County Championship that don't mean nothin' but braggin rights and it at least gives Wartburg something to crow about when they beat three single a Schools to win it.