Greeneville vs Knox. Central

splainshornet

Devils Face Formidable Foe In Opener Against Bobcats

By: By WAYNE PHILLIPS/Sports Editor

Source: The Greeneville Sun

08-20-2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems way too early, but ready or not, the Greeneville High Greene Devils will play football Thursday night at Burley Stadium as the 2003 season begins.

reeneville takes on powerful Knox Central in a rare Thursday night opener. Kickoff is at 7:30 p.m. Greene Devil Coach Mike Zeller said the game was moved to Thursday night because the Knoxville schools all play in a jamboree at Neyland Stadium on Friday night.

The Central Bobcats will be a formidable opponent for a young Greene Devil team that will have a very different look from last year’s squad.

“Central has quite a football team and it will be a tough test for us,” Zeller said. “They are expected to be right in there with Maryville this year in that region. The Bobcats lost only one regular season game last year, and that was with a freshman quarterback at the helm. Central finished the year at 10-2, losing to Cleveland in the second round of the playoffs.

Joel Helton is beginning his 19th year as coach at Knox Central, and his son, Zachary, is the signal-caller. Reports are that Zachary might be the best quarterback in the Knoxville area since another familiar Helton, Todd, played at Central several years ago.

Senior tailback Shavar Young is an all-Knoxville Football League pick for his overall athletic ability.

The Greene Devils, after an impressive 11-2 record last year before being eliminated in the state quarterfinals by Morristown West, lost heavily to graduation, especially in the skill positions.

“We have some talent, but we are just so inexperienced at a lot of places,” Zeller noted.

Gone are quarterback Cody Baugh, tailback Thomas Lister, and top-notch receivers like Joe Watson and Charlie Wilcox who made for a lot of memorable moments last year for the green and white.

Chase Greenway, a 6-0, 205 lb. senior, was a clutch receiver last year but has been switched to quarterback duty. However, a shoulder injury in the preseason has limited his practice time.

Corey Click, a 5-10, 175 lb. sophomore, has been getting plenty of preseason work at quarterback. Michael Lollar, a junior, and sophomore Brandon Gash have been working at tailback, with Rankin Davis, a senior, and Robert Leeper, a sophomore, at the fullback slot.

Adam Leibers, a senior, is the most experienced returning receiver. Several other Devils are in the mix at the wideout positions.

“We’ll probably run the ball more this year,” Zeller said.

Returning seniors Andy McCall (6-1, 287) and Randy King (5-11, 262) anchor the line.

An assortment of nagging injuries have hurt the Greene Devils during preseason drills and scrimmages, but the regular season has arrived.

GHS Athletic Director Frank Shipe said a limited number of reserved parking spaces located behind the stadium are still available and will be sold on a first-come, first-served basis Thursday night.

----

SPLAINSHORNET NOTE:

Knoxville FM 99.1 WNOX will broadcast all Central Bobcats games including the first game at Greeneville Thursday

Edited by splainshornet

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just another example of the bias at the Greeneville Sun. Guys on here complain when schools in another county don't get coverage from their paper. There are 5 schools in Greene County, this is the only article to have appeared in the paper about high school football. Sorry, they did run a couple of blurbs about practice starting at two of the schools. I'm so disgusted with them I really want to cancel the subscription, but the wife likes the news....

Having read the article I can't believe they were able to get Coach Zeller to talk that much. The article has to be fake. I can't believe he didn't just look at them with that look he usually gives. Ha HA. Having coached with Mike at Sequatchie, I know he will get the most out of his young players. Good luck to Greenville this year.

I have already said it in another thread, but I think this will be a great match up. Greeneville went 12-2 last year and had a very strong team. Year in and year out, they have great teams. Central went 10-2 last year and also has the reputation for fielding some strong teams. I am really anxious to see how this one turns out. Everything I have seen in papers and magazines are picking Central to be the team to beat this year. Of course in my opinion, until someone beats Maryville, they are still the team to beat. I guess we will see tonight how good Central really is. And I will be awaiting the result of Saturday nights game between Carter and Maryville. (Early prediction: it will be a blowout). :D

They are too fast for Greeneville. I saw this team on Comcast last year an they have back ups that are as fast as most teams starters. Maryville has much depth and quality at that, but Central has extremely fast depth. I'm not sure if they can knock off the Red Rebels of Maryville this year, but they will knock everyone else off. Along with knocking a few up, girls that is.

Well, it wasn't pretty, but Central beat Greeneville 31-19. Central by at least 21 (if Greeneville doesn't get too much help from the refs).

Cuz, you were right. You would not have believed the laundary on the field. Central had 14 penalties, which may have been legit. But Greeneville only had 4 which was pathetic. There was very much a one-sided contingency from the officials.