Coffee County Downs Cookeville 35-22

SemperFiBlue

Sadler thanks for the report-without those two guys the CAVs are hampered big time. I saw in the paper where Buckner only rushed for 30 yards against Coffee Cty. Now I know that he doesn't lay down, so we must have an offensive line problem. What do you see is the problem-Buck being exhausted from going both ways or the O line not blocking?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadler thanks for the report-without those two guys the CAVs are hampered big time. I saw in the paper where Buckner only rushed for 30 yards against Coffee Cty. Now I know that he doesn't lay down, so we must have an offensive line problem. What do you see is the problem-Buck being exhausted from going both ways or the O line not blocking?

The list below is the total rushing yards for Cookeville vs. Coffee county.

Paxton 14-138 yds

Wolf 2-65 yds

Buckner 10-30 yds

Ledford 5-29 yds

Adams 1-12 yds

Toline 4-11 yds

Total of 36 carries for 285 rushing yards for a average of 7.92 yards per carry. Not too shabby in my book. All of the running backs and OL did a decent job with the rush and pass protection. Turnovers and the mental game led to the Cavaliers downfall. The Cavaliers major difficulties are still the ramifications of not playing as team. More emphasis needs to be put on team play and mental discipline. I know the Cavs can turn it around with a little work and toughness. Go Cavs !!!

Footballfanatic said:

Ok, i just got off the phone with my mother, and i wanted to clarify that Joseph has been sent several letters but, I don't believe UT Martin has contacted Joseph at this point, and I know that he has not decided to commit there either. Anyway, I was just worried that my family was keeping important info from me while i've been away. Good day everyone!

Hmmm. . .maybe I have the wrong Shelton. Could that Shelton kid's name had been Zack? Oh well, Joseph Shelton is certainly capable of playing at a Division 1 school and I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him playing for my MTSU Blue Raiders someday. Of course, I don't know if Andy Mac is looking for people to replace on special teams?? I know he has a senior punter and a senior kicker who will graduate after this season so I can only guess he'll need to fill those spots.

Still, I am just awe-struck at how well Shelton can punt. Coffee County fans don't have to worry about the battle of field position when you have someone like that as a punter.

I was at the game Friday and the OL was blown off the ball. I am a Cookeville fan and also played for the Cavs last year and I believe that the Game was won and lost on the DL and the OL. Plus a bunch of missed tackles. They act so dead when they were on the field. Sometimes the Cavs D would have sparks of excitement at times when someone would make a good play but the rest of the time they were just dead. Hopefully Turner will be back to be the leader on the defense. Buck played good at the beginning of the game, but in the second half he looked tired. Ledford made some good plays at times but just didnt look comfortable in the pocket. The Cavs secondary is gonna have to have some adjustments this week, or change the personnel back there which is what I say would be the smart move. Try some new guys back there because this week is a pride game. Also the OL could have a few changes with the guards because it looked like the guards were just getting blown-up time and time again. Good luck to the Cavs this week and I hope they sort out all there problems. Go Cavs.

Edited by AAAAA

This was a very exciting game t watch with plenty of big plays from both sides. The main problem for Cookeville was that they could not finish a drive they moved the ball very effectively between the thirty's, but could not finish a drive. It seemed several times that they would run the ball down to the 30 or so and then decide to start passing, not sure why.

I think Coffee County will be 5-0 going into the Franklin County game, but then they have their toughest three games in a row. CCHS had trouble stopping the run off tackle and on sweeps last week and I think it will come back to haunt them. The Ends and Corners are the weaknesses on this defenses where they need to have someone step it up.

Region 3-5A is once again a top to bottom weak region. Lincoln Co. is one of the best teams in the state and Franklin County is better than their 2-1 record indicates. Coffee County hovers at the edge between the good and the bad in the region. If they can start stopping the run then they will have a chance against better teams if not they will struggle against the higher quality opponents.

Footballfanatic said:

Well, my name is Zach, and I don't go to Martin, but I do play at Austin Peay and we just lost to Martin. Maybe i talked to you and things got a little confused.

Well how's it going, Zach?? It must've been you. Somehow I had a feeling you were going to tell me your name was Zach. I think I remember you telling me about playing for Austin Peay. I thought you told me you were going to consider playing at Martin?? Oh well. Still work out at the "Y"? I haven't been due to my inability to afford it under my present circumstances. Tell John Luke that a fellow classmate wishes him well.

PEACE.

Joseph still has a great leg. It must run in the family. John Luke was a senior Coffee County kicker the last time the Red Raiders went to the playoffs. Very interesting. Could history repeat itself?? ;)

Just like dog11 said, the season is very early. We are in the same situation this year as we were in last year. Im sure that Cookeville is looking for something to blame, but we need to face the facts.... we played sloppy football. The cavs can not give up, however. Keep your chins up and keep charging toward that region championship and remember that NOBODY thinks that you guys can do it but the people you see on the team and the loyal fans in the stands. Believe it or not, there are a BUNCH of them. We gotta look at lebanon, but not OVERlook them just because we kicked their rear ends last year. They are definately going to bring their A-game, especially after last year. We may not have the size that we had last year to beat them, but this year we are unusually fast. Buckner, Turner, and Ledford need to step it up as leaders and get their team back on track. Scalf, Mata, Bates, and Timmons need to get that offensive line back to full strength. I'm sure that Joslin, Medlin, and Cook will have the cavs ready for next week despite this loss. You just gotta remember what happened last year how we had to make everybody believers out of us, and do it again this year. Good luck Cavs vs Lebanon and the rest of the season.

Edited by Fuggly63