Parents and Coaches too ambitious?

bradleycc234

Personally I think some parents and coaches are a little hard on their runners.

Some of these parents have no business screaming at their kids to run faster because they couldn't run 5 feet without dying. Some coaches are nearing the age 50.. Do you think they can run? I think they need to lay off because they

are making this sport a punishment. Some schools have also taken training to the extreme... Boot Camp??? -- Hmm.. Well all I go to say about this is this is high school not the Marines.. I guess that first place at state means a lot .. LOL

Edited by bradleycc234

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Runnerboy, I usually enjoy your replies, but today must have been a bad day. I'll readily admit that I am one of those parents who couldn't run five feet and yes I yell at my kid and she yells back at me. And to bradleycc234, while these yelling parents may not be able to run, we still fork out $140 for running shoes and go to your meets and see that you have food and drinks. Success depends so much on attitude. That's what the whole boot camp thing is about. I may not agree with it but hey it's time to try something different. If you don't want to do it, turn in your uniform. Either you want to be part of the team and do your best or you need to quit. It's been a rough season when the parents can't wait for it to be over. :D

You basically stated the exact same thoughts as runner boy, only much milder; yet you did not agree with/enjoy his post? And to bradleycc, I totally agree that sometimes this sport is punishment, but Runnerboy, Chief and I will all tell you from experience that first place at state does mean a lot. If you don't like it, quit and stop crying (I also have a better word).

Edited by mbuckley

I was too tough on runnerboy. He may not have known that bradleycc234 does not go to Bradley at all, or have a child at Bradley Central. He just usually has a little more wit about his answers (makes me smile). I like his passion for his sport. And I like his pride in his school. And while I'm on this praise kick, may I tell you, Mr. Buckley that I do admire the way you run. Hope you guys have a great week. B)

Some coaches are nearing the age 50.. Do you think they can run?

Our "assistant coach" is 52 and runs with our # 5-#10 guys all the time. Matter of fact he did 16 miles last Sunday. 800trackmom, I don't believe at the time I was wanting my posts to be enjoyed for numerous reasons and no where in the post did I put that Bradleycc was from Bradley.. I haven't been all that passionate about this sport latley so I guess my wit has also resided for the time being. Well have a good day..

Michael Billingsley

Coach Wetmore couldn't beat Jorge Torres, but I promise you he yelled at him. I think anyone not willing to give it his or her all deserves to be screamed at because everyone owes it to his/her team to push as hard as they can. Although I'm not a coach or a parent, I'm empathetic with them because it can be extremely frustrating to watch someone run without the passion that the rest of his team is running. Percy Surrotey, who coached Herb Elliot(never lost a race), would the day before his trainee's race run a mile as hard as he could, afterward saying, "You may run faster, but you'll never run harder" Respect is earned not by times but the amount of effort given. Someone streaking down the finish chute with a smile on his face gets nothing but disdain from me.

Guest kenwoodrun

I'm learning more and more that 1 + 3 = 4 just as well as 2 + 2 = 4. The actually methodology of how you get there is up to you...there are lots of different ways to ultimately run fast. You have the Wetmore philosophy of high volume/tons of mileage and hope your body withstands it, and you also have the Villanova women's philosophy of "less is more". Both have won national titles. The trick is, in both systems, the runners completely buy into the training philosophies of their coach and program. They are thus willing to go 110% at the philosophy they adopt...and both reach success in different manners. It doesn't have to be "boot camp" / 150 miles per week to make you successful. It does take total and complete commitment to some solid training approach, whatever meshes with you or your team concept. Certainly there are coaches and parents that are overambitious, but the number of athletes who are underambitious outnumber them.