Dyersburg High School

mg

mr ike peel was honored this past friday night during pre-game activities at dyersburg high school.....not too many old school players like him still alive today.... ut stand-out heath shuler even dropped by to pay tribute.....

graduated from dyersburg high 1938....scholarship offers to lsu and tennessee...went to ut to play for gen neyland......

player for ut vols 1938 to 1942 as a offensive back

during his 4 years at ut, he and his vol team mates won 39 games lost 4 and had 27 shuts outs....they scored 1009 points to their opponents 148......the 38 team undefeated...the 39 team un-scored upon regular season played for national championship.....

while at ut, mr peel was creditied for making 3 "key" blocks that set up the famous "butler" run against alabama....

upon graduation drafted by cleveland browns, but elected to become a member of general robert neylands coaching staff....

spring of 42 was called into service by the army for ww2....led a 40 man attack squad during the first invasion wave at normandy beach......received "2" purple hearts...

returned to ut in 1945 as the offensive and defensive back coach for general neyland....

recruited players such as doug atkins from humboldt and johnny majors from huntland....

won a national championship in 51.....

also coached baseball and wrestling and won a sec championship in wrestling....

was close friends and hunting buddy with bear bryant, who frequented dyer county area on several hunting and fishing trips.....

close friends with many other legend sec coaches......

inducted into tennessee hall of fame 1992

he has a grandson in anderson county who is a middle school basketball coach and was a standout basketball player for dyersburg in the late 80's and was on the dyersburg tssaa state-runner up basketball team from the late 80's.....

congratulations to mr ike peel, a great member of our community and a member of americas greatest generation.....

Edited by mg

shuler came into the press box for a few and i must admit i did not immediately recognize him.......

he said that he was "honored" to meet a player that had not only played for general neyland, but coached for him as well......

anywho, mr peel droped by thursday during walk-thurs and spoke to the team....was pretty emotional....he cried a bit and and told some "war stories".....it "fired" up the team........

Edited by mg

jimmy n kinda just disappeared from the scene....he still lives in the area....

starsnbars....i assume you are from maryville? if so, do you remember paul kellar who played at Maryville 80’s or 90’s and later went on the play at mtsu?

paul was an assistant coach here in dyersburg, later on at jcm...he now is working in administration with jackson - madison cnty schools.....

he and i have become good friends over the years....the players he coached "loved him" and he did a great job in the classroom as well...........

Edited by mg

To be sure, Ike was an icon. Even Johnny Majors spoke favorably of him at the spring game last April. I'm glad Heisman Heath took time out to pay tribute. General Neyland was a unique individual and anyone who was able to bask in his aura is indeed special as well. As for photojeff, one of the best shooters around, all I can offer is "50."

Edited by JPSartre