Does Tennessee need 5 public school classes

Red81KPsmash

As I watched the 5 state championship games, I started thinking about the level of competition each team had to contend with to get there. It clearly looked to me that Fulton and Hillsboro would have been a great game against each other. Fulton plays in a region that is no doubt the toughest in the state at the 3A level. They must play AE and Anderson County in their region, but who else is there at the 3A level since Ridgeway is now 4A. Speaking of 4A, how easy is Morristown West's trip to the semis? Beat whoever out of upper East Tn (Elizabethton, TN High or directional Sullivan Co. are never really that good), play Greeneville (very up and down team) and you are in the semis. Let Cleveland, Knox Central, and Maryville battle it out and be fresh for the semifinal game. No other tough game. To me, the only class that is truly tough across the state is 5A. DB and Jeff. Co. in region 1, Oak Ridge in region 2, Lincoln Co. in Region 3, Riverdale in 4, Brentwood and Franklin in 5, and so on. Even though the $$ is too good now for the TSSAA, I think 3 or 4 classes would provide more competition at every level. Let's here what you think?

I would prefer fewer classifications and one less round in the playoffs. It's fun for us to have more than 50% of the schools in the playoffs and games from August 22 to Dec 6 but I think we should keep in mind that the players are students that are supposed to be getting an education and should have time for "life" mixed in with football (I'll probably kick myself if the season is really ever shortened - HS football is my favorite level to watch).