William blount coaches

stonesboy

Govman I understand fickert I'd leave town to in his situation. However, I do not believe that it is all just circumstance with the other coaches. I think that there is got to be a bigger problem than just circumstnace. I know Mac's reputation and I knowing that I do not think that he left just because his son graduate. From my understanding Reid sold himself as stablity and in it for the long haul. I don't know what kind of man he is but have seen what he did at alcoa this year. I have got to say he looks dedicated to me. So what made him lose that dedication at WB? And give me a break the Phelps leaving after just one year. Come on really Phelps is a football icon in this county. What has made the last three leave? Something more there I think.

Stonesboy,

Sounds like you're pretty familiar with the WB program. What do you think the "problem" is? Believe me, I'm not denying that there is one, but none of the outgoing coaches have really, specifically pointed "one" out.

I do know this ... Reid held the job for approximately one year. Phelps held it for actually less than six months. They were familiar with the pay; the administration; the community support; the facilities; the existing coaching staff. None of this changed in the short period of time either of them held the job. So if something was so bad, why did either of them take the job in the first place?

Listen, I just don't know enough to comment fully on McMahan or Reid. I don't know what kinds of things contributed to their stepping down. But I do know that with Coach Phelps, there was no kind of "conspiracy theory" stuff going on. He took the job, he could have kept the job had he wanted, but he (of his own free will and volition) decided it was just not what he wanted to do.

Before we get too down on the coaching situation, let's see what happens next.

NineInch, where you been? I haven't heard much from you lately. Still into the 'grunge rock' thing? (ha,ha) By the way, I really like J.C.'s cover version of "Hurt." Do you think I'd like the real thing? What cd would that be on?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nails, your crazy fickert was the best ever at WB. He would run you over and you know that. He was probably the best back in the county schools since Lee Headrick and Joe Bobo. Also my sources have told me that Reid made more money in Indiana and moved here to provide a better environment for his kids to grow up. You got to admire that!

Govman I just want both of the county schools to get back in order like they were when I was in school. But times were a lot different then . Two or three coaches and tons of community support. Been around football in this county for some 40 years or so and I love it and just try to keep up with all I can. I like the old days at waqlland with Dalton , Richard Gunter, and Leon Holder. Sure do miss seeing county boys play like that mean as snake . Best games ever were Lanier and Walland Murrin vs. Renfro. Man I miss those days. Man those games were good I always admired the guys who played.

Guest NineInchNails
Nails, your crazy fickert was the best ever at WB. He would run you over and you know that. He was probably the best back in the county schools since Lee Headrick and Joe Bobo. Also my sources have told me that Reid made more money in Indiana and moved here to provide a better environment for his kids to grow up. You got to admire that!

Fickert was cabbage, and didn't pee a drop when he played my team. And he was a class act, too (i.e. flipping off the fans thrice at Maryville). Great people these yanks are, that come down here to ruin our schools.

"Hurt" was on the "Downward Spiral" CD, if you really are interested.

And NOBODY randomly moves to Blount County to provide a better environment for his children, especially when he is from Fort Wayne or something like that. Get real, and stop whining about all those old timers.

Nine,

I like that ... "Fickert was cabbage" ... what exactly does that mean?

I can't agree with your statement about "moving to Blount County." As a father of three, I believe it is a wonderful place to raise kids. The biggest problem, it's "wonderfulness" is becoming so well known, more and more people are moving here and the more crowded it gets, the less "wonderful" it becomes.

And by the way, I believe the "primary" reason Reid came to Blount County was due to Coach Fickert, if I'm not mistaken. I could be.

Guest NineInchNails

That means he was "garbage"...or "not very good, 't all". Which he wasn't...but the Daily Times sure did make it sound like he was the greatest thing since sliced bread...never mentioning his yards per carry average (1.9).

That means he was "garbage"...or "not very good, 't all". Which he wasn't...but the Daily Times sure did make it sound like he was the greatest thing since sliced bread...never mentioning his yards per carry average (1.9).

Nine,

It's obvious you're not a big fan of Fickert. And I wasn't his biggest fan either. But he was a little better than you give him credit for.

I know for certain that he rushed for 3000 yds his last three seasons. So let's do the math, if indeed he average 1.9 yds per carry, and if the Gov's played 32 games in those three years (regular season plus 1 playoff game and 1 bowl game) that means he averaged on a conservative basis ... 93 yds per game. That means he was carrying the ball to the tune of about 49 times per game. Now I know his dad overused him, but 49 carries per game? Not hardly.

Not one of my favorites ... but he was one of the strongest players ever at William Blount. He had one of the best work ethics of any player they've ever had. He was as hard to tackle as any runner they've had since the days of Tony "Meathead" Robinson. And he would have to be ranked as one of their best backs of all time. Can't deny it. Didn't like his attitude. Didn't like it when he "flipped" Maryville off. Overused (but not his fault.) Give credit where credit is due.

Guest NineInchNails

Welp, it's a fact that in 1998, Mike Fickert's YPC was 1.9. Look it up. He was held under 60 yards three different times, and he got like 100 carries a game, man. I would take Marcus Kenny, Brad Walker, or pretty much any other back of the last 5 years over Fickert. The only thing that saved him in his senior year of '98 was the 55 carry 296 yard performance versus Jefferson County, in which Ricky Upton had 407 yards on 39 carries.

Keep in mind, this isn't negotiable, these are facts. I'm just attempting to make a point that there have been much, MUCH better backs at William Blount, not including the transfers...(i.e. Korey Conner, etc).

Hey boyz!

Whew! You boyz are getting serious on bashing Fickert! Where in the world is he? I am sitting here watching my stories with a whole box full of I.O.U.'s! He was a very sweet man...that Coach Fickert!

Starz...I have heard the rebel program is starting to implode from the loss at Mo'West! I heard there is a lot of finger pointing, trash talking, etc. I heard Rouse is ready to crank up his fighting ways again!

I hope this is not true...I don't want those coaches leaving for greener pastures up near the home place or just down 321! I can help you recruit anywhere! Ted had me in LaFollette, Maynardville, and Lutrell but Suzette loves the outlet malls in Sevier County so hit won't be no problem!

I just don't want to go up to Pigeon Forge and step on ole Flippers toes!

Nine...you are forgetting a lot of rebel backs in that comparison...I think one is playing division one at some South Alabama Cow College right now!

Anyway...I love you boyz and I have got to go get the hot rollers out of my hair! My head is sweating as I type!

Love you boyz!

:rolleyes:

Hey boyz!

I doubt we could get ole Flip! His true colors are green, black and a little light blue and peach intertwined...you know the new twenty dollar bills!

Of course we could get him...but who wants him? I know he used to do nice stuff for me...but what has he done for me lately?

East TN sports...interesting...you may have figured out where my husband works!

The hair is rolled...the nails are done! The new leather halter top is on...and I my friends am off to Thompson Boling to see my heros...Aerosmith and Kiss!

I have 2nd row tickets and I love Gene Simmons! He has the longest tongue of any man I've ever....

I like Aerosmith too...Janie's got a Gun...Love in an Elevator...Walk this Way! I love them all...however, that love ballad "Beth" by Kiss will have me just meltin' away!

A girl could be taken advantage of! Starz...do you 'member singin' "Suz I hear you callin' but I can't come home right now...me and the boyz will be playin' all night!"

Man that brings a tear to a girls eye! Maybe if I see Flip, I will tell him his alma mater needs a little help and William Blount is looking too!

Love you boyz!

:P