how far is too far?

CoachLogan74

Trashtalking and making fun of someone is two different things. All athletes and students trash talk it's a part of sports.

No, no they aren't. haha, your post is so ridiculous it brought a smile to my face. trash-talking different from making fun? making fun of someone is all in good jest. student sections all thrive on taking a player out of his game and/or getting a rise out of him. its the best part of being a sports fan. i know countless times student sections have made fun of a player's appearance, and if you're a player that gets bothered by people you don't even know calling you something, you need help. in my mind, it crosses the line when the students physically attack a player, i.e. throwing things, spitting, and that sort. do i agree with student sections bringing out personal info about a player that they heard? by all means yes. again, if it bothers a person to the point they can't play a simple game then they need serious help. (anger management folks)

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night at Loretto the Lawrence County student section were chanting at a Loretto player. Well he got so frustrated that the ref gave him a technical foul for holding his hand up to his ear. You could tell the students got in his head and he lost his cool. They were chanting "this is our barn" and "tall and lanky". It was messing with his head and the students helped their team out.

Hmmmm. I think there is a fine line between making fun of someone and trahs talking. Trash talking is part of the game, trying to get into the oppenents head and psyche him out. If one is good at it, then the guy he is playing against can be toast. Basketball is 51% mental and 49% physical. You don't have to be smart, but you can't be dumb.

Student Sections should be allowed to trash talk all they want, until they are using language that is offensive to a degree that "cursing like a sailor" is how they are referred to, or they are physically abusing players, then they shouold be allowed to do whatever because it is a part of sports! For those of you who say "these are just kids, they shouldn't have to go through this"; well i got a news break for you. KIDS ARE VICIOUS, to one another and don't think that a high school "kid" doesn't do the things their parents did at the very same age and more then likely they partcipate in worse(I know I did, and I played 3 sports in High School, and all my teachers loved me, in general). These kids in the student section wanna help their players/friends out in support of their school and they should be allowed to! Whe overprotective parents complain just because something offends them, and a new rule is made(further resptricting our rights to free speach) they ruin things for the majority of students and fans alike. Why do we allow a small group of Ultra-conservative people to change the rules for everyone else. I mean, heck, you can't even yell "S-UCKS" at a high school basketball game anymore(much less put it on coacht) yet, the last time I looked, the word was not considered a "Foour letter word" and by most accounts isn't even that offensive... People who make a HUGE DEAL out of minor issues need to relax and quit ruining the fun for everyone else!