Division II Middle Rankings

Ash56

With the region schedule underway for everyone, it is about time that we line everyone up and rank them.

1. BGA (12-2)- After dropping two in a row, the Wildcats have won three straight including victories over Division II foe Baylor and the defending state champion BA.

2.BA (12-3)- The Eagles dropped a tough OT game to BGA and then a star-studded matched up with Giles Co. The road does not get much easier when Father Ryan comes to town next.

3. Father Ryan (5-9) The Irish are better than their record indicates, but they still probably will not have enough to top BA Friday night.

4. MBA (5-8) The Big Red would be ranked higher if not for their one point loss to the Irish. They scored a big victory over BGA, but struggled in the early part of the season.

5. USN (N/A) I do not know much about them, but their 24 point loss to BA and a lossing record does not look good for the Tigers.

6. JPII (N/A) This young squad will proabably will not make a whole lot of noise this season, but they have no where to go but up as they are adding seniors next year.

7. MTCS (1-5) They do not play much of a region schedule, but they are still a part of it...i think. Regardless, they are just plain bad.

Thats my take, I would love to see the rest of yalls.

Edited by Ash56

Very interesting. I'm glad you took the effort to make these rankings and provide reasons; I disagree in a couple of spots.

1)Brentwood Academy - Clearly the best team in D2 Middle despite their upset OT loss to BGA.

2)Father Ryan - Very well coached by Bontrager, the Irish will go a long way thanks to their teamwork. Their talent is not overwhelming, but they'll win some games they probably shouldn't.

3)BGA - Coach Smith has his team playing fluidly and effectively, as evidenced by the 'Cats upset of BA. Their are no stars on this team, and that helps them distribute the ball and score plenty of points.

4)MBA - Coach Anglin has his team moving in the right direction, and will lead his team to some nice victories this year. They're a year away from being pretty darn good.

5)USN - Addison is their only real weapon; they are the leaders of D2 Middle's second tier of teams.

6)John Paul II - They'll pass USN next year as the #5 team, and may even go farther than that. From all I've heard, they have some good young athletes.

7)Middle Tennessee Christian and St. Andrew's - I don't know enough about these teams to give a good summary, except to say that they're probably not quite on the same level as PJPII or USN.

I'll bite on BA as number 1 (although I dont know about "clearly"), but I am interested to know why you have Father Ryan ranked so high. I know they are an extremely solid team year in and year out, but is appears that the Irish are having a down year by their standards. What makes you push them ahead of BGA?

I'll bite on BA as number 1 (although I dont know about "clearly"), but I am interested to know why you have Father Ryan ranked so high. I know they are an extremely solid team year in and year out, but is appears that the Irish are having a down year by their standards. What makes you push them ahead of BGA?

Your question is valid, and comparative scores would seem to indicate that BGA should be ranked ahead of Ryan; however, having seen both teams, while I'm equally impressed with their teamwork, Father Ryan has more size in the post and better shooters, along with a tougher pre-conference schedule.

That sentence was too long. ;)

i would have to agree that bga should be ranked ahead of ryan. i do not, though, believe that bga is first. ba shot about 25% against bga and lost in OT by 4. the region season has just begun, and a ton of bball left to be played

Mason, my dad said you played extremely well last night. Good job, and go get those guys in Pulaski!

After losing to BGA and a killer against Giles Co. you may not want to be the first team (Ryan) to face BA afterv those. You seem very confident, and that is great but don't get cocky. You once again have a good coach and solid D but no offensive threats. By the way what number are you Irish?

i am not cocky if we lose by less than 10 i will be very happy ba is awesome and we will have to play awesome to have a chance but at the ryan invitational they did not beat us that bad and that was with slay and turner but they hung with giles co without those 2 either i am just saying our tough early schedule will help us when it comes time to regionals and big games....i am only a sophmore i do not dress varsity....i still have no clue how bga beat them it had to be a fluke i bet when they play each other next ba will destroy them just because of the 1st game

You are making some bold statements Irishballer. I sure hope yall can back it up, otherwise there will be some unhappy upperclassmen in the direction of a sophmore that decided to run his mouth. That aside, I think the Ryan and BGA will play a couple great games this year (maybe more in the tournament). I admit I have not seen Ryan play this season, so I guess this one will be decided on the court.