CAK @ Greenback

Dalton91

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey Satterfield, nice quotes in the Maryville newpaper article. So let me ask you this, if private schools like CAK and Boyd are to blame for Greenbacks lack of state titles, then why is the Greenback basketball team something like 3-13 with only one loss to a private school? And why has Greenback been beaten out in football 2 of the past 3 years by a public school. When these small privates leave, what excuse will you come up with to save your job then???????????

Christian Academy of Knoxville launched its football program three years ago, rising to full varsity play in 2002.

``The playing field is not level anymore,'' Greenback coach Bill Satterfield said. ``Private schools, by nature, recruit students. I'm not saying they recruit players, but they recruit students. They have to.'' ``Maybe we could become Greenback Academy,'' Satterfield quipped. ``We could do that.''

Webb School of Knoxville and Nashville's Donelson Christian Academy won Class 1A and 2A titles, respectively, that season. In March of the following year, TSSAA voted 6-1 to split its member schools between those offering financial aid and those that do not.

Problem solved -- except for one little glitch.

Small-schools take beating

According to statistics compiled by Nall, Brentwood went 52-3 against public school competition from 1993-2000, University School of Jackson 56-10, Nashville's David Lipscomb 77-14, Montgomery Bell Academy 45-9, Briarcrest 40-9 and Goodpasture 50-14.

Fifty-eight public schools were a combined 0-221 vs. private school competition in the study. Nall says he yet to compile numbers from 2001 forward, but, he says, it's doubtful it's gotten any better.

``You've got hard data to back it up,'' he says.

Because of smaller enrollment numbers, 26 of the state's 56 private schools compete in public school classifications 1A and 2A. Private schools have won the last three Class A crowns. The runners-up of two of those years were also private schools. Private schools have supplied three of the last four 2A champions, with only Alcoa breaking up the sweep in 2000. Sixty percent of private school students participate in athletics, Nall said, vs. 30 percent of public school enrollments. With no restrictions on where private schools can draw students, it's easier for them to reload, Satterfield said.

On its school Web site, CAK touts serving churches in a six-county area.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

honeydip, you cut and paste well.  But, what's your point, or are you even saying anything???

Sorry I'm not a big fan of private schools or recruiting "Students"I"M NOT SAYING PLAYERS AT ALL. I just wanted to let any viewers that might not have seen the article in the Daily Times have the chance to see what people were talking about. I wanted to let everyone know the facts about private schools(60% of private school enrollment compete in sports compared to 30% of public school enrollment, fifty-eight public schools were a combined 0-221 vs. private school competition in the study, private schools have won the last three Class A crowns. The runners-up of two of those years were also private schools. Private schools have supplied three of the last four 2A champions, with only Alcoa breaking up the sweep in 2000.) It's not just a problem for Greenback, it's a problem for all the smaller schools. There should be a division or split for private schools. Does CAK give scholarships or financial aid??? ``The playing field is not level anymore,'' Greenback coach Bill Satterfield said. ``Private schools, by nature, recruit students. I'm not saying they recruit players, but they recruit students. They have to.'' I could care less about how well Greenback or any other small school does, I just think that the playing field should be level. One day CAK will be as big as Brentwood, USJ, MBA, Briarcrest, ect. With more private schools popping up there will be a need for a special classifaction.

Edited by honeydip02

CAK does give financial aid but the students that receive it are not allowed to play sports. they have actually lost some good athletes in the past because for one reason or another that persons family could not afford tuition anymore.

Ok, if a player that has used an eligible year at another school comes to CAK, and can afford tuition, does he/she get to play immediately as in be on the team, or must that player sit out a year like a public school transfer? They can only participate that year if they move to a school district.

Ok, if a player that has used an eligible year at another school comes to CAK, and can afford tuition, does he/she get to play immediately as in be on the team, or must that player sit out a year like a public school transfer? They can only participate that year if they move to a school district.

The transfer rule applies to private schools as well. There must be a change of address otherwise. We have a couple of players this year who can only play JV because of this rule.

I've read on other threads compliants about privates being able to play transfer player right away as one of those "advantages" we have. But, it's simply not true. Of course, everyone knows a guy who has a friend who told him an unnamed private school once played an unnamed player right after they transfered. And this all took place an unknown number of years ago so therefore ALL PRIVATE SCHOOLS CHEAT!!!

And what do you mean by " public school transfers"? Do you mean that athletes actually change public schools without moving? Hmmmm... sounds kinda fishy to me.

Edited by Dalton91

And what do you mean by " public school transfers"? Do you mean that athletes actually change public schools without moving? Hmmmm... sounds kinda fishy to me.

Not in all cases. I had the chance to attend 2 different High Schools. I lived so close to one school which was out of district that I attended it anyways. I was supposed to attend a school that was 25min away but I didn't have to go because they didn't provide transportation in my area(I didn't need it but it kept me from driving so far every morning:). I do know of people who have transfer without change of addy but Hey, that happens in public and private schools. ///// Does CAK not allow players who receive aid to play sports because of the question of recruting?? Does anyone know if that applys to all schools???

CAK does give financial aid but the students that receive it are not allowed to play sports. they have actually lost some good athletes in the past because for one reason or another that persons family could not afford tuition anymore.

If I were CAK I would let those who receive financial aid play anyways.....then people would come to see great players play. This would bring more money to the school and cover the aid the student was given. (Because in the end it is always about the money anyways haha.)

. ///// Does CAK not allow players who receive aid to play sports because of the question of recruting?? Does anyone know if that applys to all schools???

The split between DivI schools and Div II schools(i.e. Webb, Baylor, etc.) is based solely on whether a school offers finacial aid to varsity athletes. If there is ever a comlpete split CAK still would not recruit nor offer scholorships because that would run contrary to our school's mission. I would imagine the majority of evangical christain schools would be the same. When I hear people talk about how important winning is at CAK to those of us here that is soooooo laughable. Sports is 2nd rate at best. Of course, not putting pressure on our athletes to perform may help them to relax and maybe play better????

Edited by Dalton91

I mean if a public school student transferrs withou moving they must sit completely out for a year of that sport. If they play all three majors they are out a full year. If they move, get a verifiable address, they can play immediately.

Point is this Privates don't have districts and I was just wondering if this rule applied.