Shot Clock

rebfan65

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

No, no, no, no, no. Adding a shot clock would make high school basketball worse. The shorter the shot clock, the worse the play will be. And if you're going to put it at a minute, which I think is reasonable, you're just as well off letting the officials keep up with it themselves. I watch a lot of women's college basketball (and men's too), and the team I see the most doesn't have any really good individual scorers who create their own shots well. Well, they end up with about 10 really bad shots every game because they have to throw something at the rim. The play would be better if there wasn't a shot clock, or at least if it was 40 seconds instead of 30. Seeing that team this year convinces me even more that we don't need a shot clock in high school.

And this is without even considering the expense of the shot clock and the problems with finding qualified operators.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see it from both sides. On one hand adding a shot clock may force teams into taking really bad shots just to beat the clock. But on the other hand, it might improve a teams overall defensive effort for the game. If players knew they had to play defense for x number of seconds and then rebound, they might play defense as hard as they do offense. By leaving it the way it is, it allows for some teams to stay in the game that might not otherwise be able to. I'm not sure how I feel about it, but I think they tried to use a shot clock at the Arby's once. Anyone know for sure?

I am for the shot clock, but only if they go to a 16 minute half instead of quarters. It gives more of a flow to the game and in many ways emphasizes defense as the defensive team can be rewarded for a great possession. The offenses would adjust to it and the same results would happen - the good teams and better coached teams would adjust - other teams won't. Also, many of the kids play the shot clock in AAU, so they are used to it already.

How about a 50 second shot clock with 18 minute halves instead of quarters. I called some games on the radio in 1997-98 at a tournament in Carbondale, Illinois and they used that format. It was pretty exciting. With a 50 second clock, teams that work a half court offense have plenty of time to work the ball around for a good shot and not be hurried and yet they can't hold it for minutes on end.

But then again, being able to hold the ball in the last two or three minutes of a game with a lead is part of the game.

Let's define enjoyable basketball. A shot clock is put in. OK. Now fans begin to see faster paced games. yaaaaaaay. More dunks and flashy plays....yahoo!! Fans also get to see more and more turn-overs, less and less defense, and more frustration becuase poor John Q Public can't figure out why the blessed shot clock won't work correctly. Yeah, I can't wait for that game.

Truth is, most high school players don't have the fundamentals of the game down to a point to where they can play a disiplined game with such college rules such as shot clock which would produce the said results. Granted, I love dunks and flashy plays too...but there is soooo much more to basketball than that.

NCSeagle, I can understand getting frustrated but the team on offense cannot hold the ball like that if the defense comes out to guard them. It doesn't even have to be real pressure defense...just enough to get a five count started and make the other team run some offense.

Edited by Pantherbert

I think that with a shot clock you will see a much more exciting game, besides it would be a good experience on players in high school to learn how to handle a shot clock in high school, instead of having to learn in college. I think a 45 sec. shot clock is reasonable for high school, and i think i should be looked into, but if i doesnt happen thats fine too, because i still think high school basketball is more exciting to watch then any other basketball