Greenfield @ Obion County

jvaughan

Greenfield has lost 4 straight but played a lot better in the game against UC then they did in the previous 3. The game is at Obion and we all know how well they play at home. I haven't heard much about them other than the game against Westview were it was really high scoring. (97-94?)

On a side note, Brandon Shane needs 16 pts. to have 1,500 for his career.

Edited by jvaughan

He is pretty good. Their roster lists him as a 6'6" post, so I figure Brandon will draw him defensively. I'll take my chances with that matchup anyday. He has not had another performance like that first Westview game. And if I'm not mistaken, Westview did not have Marlon Bright for that game, which hurts their post game tremendously. So that might explain his burst of scoring in that game.

From what I can tell, the player to worry about for Obion Co. is DJ Gammons. From what I have heard, he is the typical Obion Co. player from a few years back. Great shooter, but can drive as well if you come out too far on him. He's listed as a point guard, so I don't know who we'll put on him - Jeremy or Daniel. I'd prefer to see Jeremy on him, just because he has more experience.

Obion has only won 3 games, but they beat 3 pretty good teams in those wins (South Fulton, Union City, Huntingdon), so they can beat good teams. We'll have to play well to win. From looking at their roster, it appears that they may face the same struggles we do with matching up with teams with a good inside game. They too are very small - only 5 guys over 6'. In addition to the Shore kid, they have listed a 6'2" Jr. SF (Buckland), a 6'1" Soph. PF (Hart), a 6'4" Soph. C (Johnson), and a 6'3" Senior C (Sparkman).

According to our roster, we have 4 over 6' tall - the McMullen kid that doesn't play, Clint, Brandon, and Jim Tucker.

I think that Brandon will get Shore and Thomas will guard Sparkman since Shore is more of a scorer and Sparkman is a bigger guy. Jim may have to come on and play some good minutes since he is about Sparkmans size. If we can take care of the ball, hit free throws, and limit them to one shot a possesion, then we can win. But if try to run up and down the floor with them, then it may be 5 in a row.

I agree. That is one thing that we have fallen into doing this year that I don't particularly like. We have let other teams determine the pace of the game, especially in the losses. We tried to run with West Carroll in the first game with them. We tried to run with Union City both times, Lake Co., and Milan. We also ran with South Fulton the first game, and almost got beat.

We did a much better job against Union City though. Clint never has really found his long shot. I'm hoping he'll get his touch back here in a week or so. It'd be nice to have him heating up around tourney time. He's played well, using other strengths, but his 3s are needed. We are a totally different monster when he's on from outside. If he's on from outside, with Jeremy's ability to drive, and Brandon's inside game, we are very difficult to defend. And we haven't had a great defensive game yet either. It'd be nice to turn up the defense here at the end as well.

Yeah, it was 62-42.

jvaughan, you missed a good one. Tied up at the half, we came out on fire. Even stole the inbounds to start the second half for a layup (Clint). They couldn't stop Brandon on the inside, Clint had a good night shooting, and Jeremy got into the lane whenever he wanted. We also got a solid performance from Brett. Thomas did a great job of playing defense on a much bigger man. And Jeremy did a great job of guarding Gammons. I don't know how many points he ended up with, but it had to be well below his average. I don't know if he even scored in the second half (he probably did), but he didn't score much.