A State-Bound Wrestler Gets Royally Screwed

sportsfan42

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SOMS - I thought I remembered something strange happening with Riverdale last year. Your comment confirms that there was something wrong. 2 years in a row - is it the same coach? It's one thing if it is a new coach and he forgot to do something, but it's totally different if it is a seasoned coach.

Good coaches are hard to come by and when you think you got one, sometimes you are wrong. But if you know me, when I end up with limes, I make margaritas!

The thing with Riverdale last year was that the coach did not ceritfy his wreslters by the deadline. When the Riverdale coach was asked how he managed to get his team eligible for the Region Tourney, he said "we're Riverdale. That's all that matters." As for this current situation, Glove, I feel for you. I have officiated Riverdale matches this year and you do deserve the "chance" to compete at state. You are a hard-nosed wreslter and I enjoyed reffing your matches. You're right, Rankin should step-up at take the lead on this. Not only is he the AD, but he is the most prominent sports figure at Riverdale High.

As for Coach Gonyea's remarks, I agree. Region 5 should be represented in the spot of the bracket. If not Glove, then the guy he beat.

the riverdale "little big man" matt miller got screwed. tssaa should have looked around the fact that it was not the kids' fault it was the coachs' fault. in my opinion i dont see why he should be penalized for no wrong doing in his fault. i know matt and he has worked extremely hard to make it this far. he went to the tourney anyways to support his teammate Gadie. so basically what is happeneing is he got to weigh in. then in his spot is a bye. so the kid he was supposed to wrestle advances with a bye as matt watches. i know that matt isnt very happy about this but what else can you do on the rule that is messed up. matt should be wrestling in the tourney and if he would have got to he probably be top 6. wait.....how would you feel if your worked everyday to lose weight to get into the weight class. then worked hard everyday for the 3 or 4 months and made it to state. you would feel good right? i know i would. but then the day before the tourney you get the call saying your not eligible to wrestle on your coaches wrong doing. wouldnt feel to great now would ya? i would feel like everything i worked for was a waste. i hope this doesnt happen but something like this can ruin a kid for life. he could be like, why should i work hard? all that is gonna happen is you get screwed in the end. i think that tssaa should have let him wrestle. he earned it!

the riverdale "little big man" matt miller got screwed. tssaa should have looked around the fact that it was not the kids' fault it was the coachs' fault. in my opinion i dont see why he should be penalized for no wrong doing in his fault. i know matt and he has worked extremely hard to make it this far. he went to the tourney anyways to support his teammate Gadie. so basically what is happeneing is he got to weigh in. then in his spot is a bye. so the kid he was supposed to wrestle advances with a bye as matt watches. i know that matt isnt very happy about this but what else can you do on the rule that is messed up. matt should be wrestling in the tourney and if he would have got to he probably be top 6. wait.....how would you feel if your worked everyday to lose weight to get into the weight class. then worked hard everyday for the 3 or 4 months and made it to state. you would feel good right? i know i would. but then the day before the tourney you get the call saying your not eligible to wrestle on your coaches wrong doing. wouldnt feel to great now would ya? i would feel like everything i worked for was a waste. i hope this doesnt happen but something like this can ruin a kid for life. he could be like, why should i work hard? all that is gonna happen is you get screwed in the end. i think that tssaa should have let him wrestle. he earned it!

i dont think they should bend the rules for anyone personally, if they bend them for one person that couldnt make it bend them for all, bend the rule for me, im a 6 year wrestler 1 time state qualifier/region champ(IKWF) and i didnt get to wrestle at regions or state because i have a few infections on my ear, i had a note that said it was infectious but i could wrestle if it was sweat proof, but because it stated that it was contagious, i couldnt wrestle, i understand why i couldnt wrestle, i wouldnt expect them to bend the rules for me, i wouldnt want to wrestle a guy that has what i have, yes i am angry i am not at state my senior year, but i cant do anything about it and niether can any of you for the other guy cuz its too late, so i think we should all stop complaining...

Nobody is really complaining here Pikmin...they are merely sympathizing for the kid. Who are you to censure what say in here or not? Besides, there is a difference between you and the Riverdale kid. He had no control over his situation, while in your case, your failure to wear headgear, and then your failure to take care of your matburn(or whatever it was) by cleaning it to keep it from getting infected, it was caused your demise. If you don't like people complaining, then hey, don't read this thread!