A State-Bound Wrestler Gets Royally Screwed

sportsfan42

Matt Miller is a Junior that attends Eagleville High School. Eagleville has no wrestling team, so he wrestles for Riverdale. He has wrestled for Riverdale for the past three years, his coach always filling out the correct paper work. That is..............until this year. He didn't have the form filled out for this year, and when TSSAA sent Riverdale a letter of this situation, the coach was fired on the spot (which, of course, he should be). Matt was not on the eligibility list. He got 3rd in Region 5, as a Junior, and would've got second, except he had to face Freshman Sensation Kelly Felix. Matt is the ONLY wrestler that earned an escape on this kid. He is the second best wrestler in the region, no doubt. He would've been VERY successful at the state level, most likely, top 6 this year, but, has no chance, which makes his path for next year that much harder.

Once again, a talented athlete getting punished for a coach's misconduct. It's a shame, what a talent! Down the drain.............. ;)

Edited by sportsfan42

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is the kid that is getting screwed. First off i'd like to say Fairview i beat you twice and held the match in my position the whole time. It's not whether i place or not, its the fact im getting screwed out of wrestling. And what do you mean what about the guy i pinned in consolation semis.

Well it looks now i can't play baseball this season either. Not to bragg or anything, but i am a pretty good baseball player, and because the actions of my coach im not allowed to participate in any sport. That is screwed up and i want to know why i get punished for what my coach did. He told our assistant coach that he put me on the eligibility list.

You can still play baseball...eligibilty can be filed online on any given day. You are eligible the day they add you to the roster.

Also, Riverdale last year did not certify any of their wrestlers before the region tournamnet and yet all of their wrestlers were still able to compete because they took it before Ronnie Carter (Supposedly another coaching mistake) so it would seem to me that they could overlook this indiscretion and allow him to wrestle.

Now, if they won't...will they allow the kid that this riverdale kid beat in the consolation semis to come in as the 4th place kid....

Not fair to region V if this happens and we leave a blank in that bracket.

Edited by CoachGonyeaSHS