2X / 3X State Champs

tilt43

Since the split, we have witnessed many more 2x, 3x, & 4x time state champs. The class of 2004 included many great wrestlers that either won multiple championships, were in the finals multiple times, or were 4x (or in Scott's case and I think Leen's case - 5X) place winners.

DI - Cordell (3x), James (3x), Gipson (3x), and others

DII - Simpson (2x), Hiller (2x), Leen (4x), Manley (2x), Scott (4x), Marable (2x) and others

I probably missed a few (totally unintentional). Other than little Dunning (2x), how many returning champs have multiple titles? It seems to me that next year will be the first year since the split that this has occurred.

Just a thought. I know there are a lot of very talented young wrestlers that are eager to join this elite group of champions. Who will be the next Gipson, Leen, Scott, James (you fill-in the blank)? I don't know, but it will be fun to watch.......

Good luck to all the 2004 medalists and participants. Remember: winter champions are forged in the summer!

Holliman jumped from going one and out in last year's state tournament to making finals this year. He still has two years left and could win both years. Also, Nic Bundy dominated what I thought to be the toughest weight class in the state tournament. He won this year and has two left also.