Baylor

BuckLateral

Haven't seen much posted on Baylor's D-II championship yet, which, while not totally unexpected, may have come as a surprise to some, particularly after Ryan and Mccallie went 1-2 at the D-II duals. Here is a sampling of what some of us were saying way back in November when the first calls went out for predictions on who might be the D-II champion and most seemed to think it would be a Ryan/McCallie dogfight:

.......................................................................................................................

nader64 Posted: Nov 12 2003 - 06:30 PM 

McCallie will easily win D II. First of all they have a serious middle weights class with Scott and Manley down in the trenches. Along with some other key wrestlers it will be a quality season for the Blue Tornado.

The Name Posted: Nov 12 2003 - 06:41 PM

I'm sorry, buddy, but I think Hiller, Dunning, Stark, Myers, Lomas, Adams, and Oddo from Father Ryan will have a bit to say about that. I doubt McCallie will be able to match a lineup like that.

walkenvol Posted: Nov 13 2003 - 07:40 AM

Name,

Would you think that Cleveland, Blair, Manley, Smith, Scott, and Rudolph match up fairly well against that lineup? In D2, many times it's not the team with the best top guns that wins. The quality of the entire team has proven to be the deciding factor the last several years at the State tourney. Last year, Ryan won with either 3 or 4 individual champs while McCallie came in 2nd with 5 champs. I'll go out on a limb and predict a MINIMUM of 5 champs and 7 finalists for McCallie again this year. That alone will not bring home the title, it will be determined by the performance of the competitors not in the finals.   

ijtx Posted: Nov 13 2003 - 06:07 PM

Bucklateral: don't know much about Baylor. I do know two exceptional freshmen will join the ranks: Ben Johnson and Reed Doster are extraordinary.

Cross Doster finished third in the state last year as a junior at 140: this year he'll be even better. He's strong as an ox.

I heard Doug Vaughn is going to wrestle this year. He sat out last year. He's a beast.

Baylor will be even stronger this year than last. Much.

BuckLateral Posted: Nov 13 2003 - 06:42 PM

jtx---------thanks for the response. I've seen both Doster and Vaughn wrestle on the FCI circuit----------Doster the past two seasons and Vaughn two years ago. You are right about both of those two. What about the Waddell ( Dan, I think) kid that wrestled for the Chattanooga FCI team this past spring? He looked pretty tough too and I thought he was an 8th grader last year. I see where Leen has just been ranked No. 22 by Wrestling USA magazine (as of 11-8-03) for all classes ( soph, jr, sr). I know there is a Manson back and the Geismer kid. If they have some upper weights, could they be the "darkhorse' that gets overlooked in DII while everybody argues about Ryan and McCallie? 

ijtx Posted: Nov 13 2003 - 07:06 PM

Buck: What a good case you make! Darkhorse indeed. I hadn't thought of it quite like that. We haven't even talked about Timothy Moore and the hwt. Isn't it Hufstetler?

Maybe we should shush...let 'em find out on their own.

.......................................................................................................................

Baylor had one champion, Jordan Leen. McCallie had 4 and Ryan 3. However, Baylor had 6 runners-up, while Ryan had 2 and McCallie only one.

So, though I know he is a Blue Tornado fan, maybe Walkenvol was right : "many times it's not the team with the best top guns that wins. The quality of the entire team has proven to be the deciding factor the last several years at the State tourney." Is this how ( or why) Baylor won? Any thoughts on the "quality" of this entire Baylor team? Or is this a team that slipped in the backdoor while McCallie and Ryan were busy sizing up each other.

And after all is said and done, for all of our posts during the year predicting this and that , and who is going to win what and why, when it comes down to it, maybe jtx had it right all along: "we should shush...let 'em find out on their own".

Hey, come on. I predicted Baylor to win a month ago. Where's my quote? B) They have the most well-rounded tournament team. The funny thing is that they didn't go to hardly any individual tournaments throughout the season (besides McCallie), so nobody knew how they would do. You just had to look at the line up and see all the talent.

BuckLateral, In reply to your quote "Haven't seen much posted on Baylor's D-II championship yet, which, while not totally unexpected, may have come as a surprise to some, particularly after Ryan and Mccallie went 1-2 at the D-II duals."

Baylor only lost to Father Ryan 28-27 at the State Duals. So that in itself tells me that they were more than capable of competing for the traditional tournament. Congratulations to Coach Morgan and the Red Raiders. Special congrats to Jordan Leen you earned it!

I heard Doug Vaughn is going to wrestle this year. He sat out last year. He's a beast

Doug was my very best friend growing up. He moved from Sewanee when he started going to Baylor. He sat out last year, I'm so glad he doing it again this year. He's got so much talent and potential. He had a little rust this year from sitting out. Look out next year for an even better season. I agree on the comment about him being a beast.