How many MPH should a pitcher gain each year?

Noragarm

There's no doubt that velocity is the quickest way to get noticed. It's like being 7 ft. tall in basketball. Some things are god-given, and scouts will be enamoured with that.

I was just trying to point out that young high school pitchers should worry about the mechanics and science of pitching first.

I know of examples where kids are lighting up the gun in showcases and scouts ask, "why didn't this guy pitch more for his high school?" The answer was that the coach knew the kid had great velocity, but couldn't trust him to throw strikes when it mattered.

If you can pitch well and throw fast, all the better. But young pitchers need to approach it in the right way.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me see, how many MPH did Greg Maddux gain from high school to today?

0 mph

Let me see, how many Cy Young awards has Greg Maddux won?

4 Cy Youngs.

Velocity may be the single most over-rated statistic in sports today.

If it was only about how hard you throw, there would be a lot of kids dominating in the majors who never, in fact, got out of college or JUCO ball.

Ya gotta remember, velocity is awful gaudy but the three most important rules for pitching are the same as the three most important rules for real estate: (1) location, (2) location, and (3) location.

How hard you throw just doesn't matter at the higher levels if you can't locate and keep hitters off-stride. At the higher levels, all of the hitters are good fastball hitters.

Let me see, how many MPH did Greg Maddux gain from high school to today?

0 mph

Let me see, how many Cy Young awards has Greg Maddux won?

4 Cy Youngs.

Velocity may be the single most over-rated statistic in sports today.

If it was only about how hard you throw, there would be a lot of kids dominating in the majors who never, in fact, got out of college or JUCO ball.

Ya gotta remember, velocity is awful gaudy but the three most important rules for pitching are the same as the three most important rules for real estate: (1) location, (2) location, and (3) location.

Very true indeed...