Steven Brimer Fundraiser

TDArtist

As many of you know (and hopefully now more know), Jeff Price, Randy Shelton, Drew Beamer, and Matt Drish of Science Hill High School have committed themselves to complete the Duke Blue Devil Ironman triathlon to raise money to support Steven Brimer's ongoing cancer treatments. Just to update everyone on how we are doing -

Total to date: $3,180

We would like to thank the following people for their kind and generous support -

Woody Kahley, Head Wrestling Coach, Chuckey-Doak HS

Rick Drish, Wrestling Club Director, Johnson City Athletic Club

Future Champions Wrestling Club

Bob and Kate Fandetti in Memory of Scott Fandetti

Cliff Ramos, Head Wrestling Coach, Collins Hill High School

Brian and Gigi Nelson-Brian was an assistant at Jeff County and Carson-Newman's

first national champion in 1985

Coach Joe Blair and Brentwood High School

Tim and Michelle Pittman-Tim is head coach at Gibbs High School

Mr. and Mrs. Clint Abbot-No introductions necessary

John Calvin and Patsy Shelton

Bob and Karen Gay

Tennessee AAU Wrestling

Luther Killian

If anyone would like to make a donation, make checks payable to the Johnson City Athletic Club and mail to:

Johnson City Athletic Club

1509 John Exum Parkway

Johnson City, TN 37601

If you have any questions, feel free to contact Jeff Price at 423/232-6058

Edited by TDArtist

A letter that expands on Steven, the Brimers and Jeff's efforts:

Greetings to the Wrestling Community,

When our season comes to a close, we ponder fondly of the exciting moments from this year and evaluate the “what-ifs” with an eye toward improving for next year. Today I write on a different, difficult, and sobering topic.

As we reflect on the past and plan for the future, please pause with thought and prayer for Steven Brimer and his family. Steven, the youngest of Bill and Beth Brimer’s five children, was diagnosed with cancer when he was five years old. Now, after eight years of fighting cancer and tumors, he was recently diagnosed with yet another brain tumor. Just two weeks from his thirteenth birthday, he continues his battle. He remembers no life that didn’t involve cancer and treatments. Steven and his family remain spiritually strong and hopeful though the doctors’ prognosis is far from hopeful. As the Brimers continue their fight with Steven and work to provide a positive quality of life for him, I hope that you may take a moment to help with your thoughts, prayers, and donations for Steven and his family.

Bill Brimer is the head wrestling coach of Greeneville High School and recently won his 400th dual meet in a long and exemplary career that includes head positions at Morristown West, and Tennessee High before moving to Greeneville. Bill has provided so much more than quality wrestling instruction to wrestlers. He has provided real-life guidance for hundreds of students over the years. As members of the wrestling community, we may be able to provide some comfort, appreciation, and support to Bill, Beth, Steven and all of the Brimers.

Steven’s courage has been an inspiration to many around him including Jeff Price, head wrestling coach of Science Hill High School. Jeff has organized a team from his school to compete next October in a fundraiser for the Duke University Comprehensive Cancer Center’s iron-man triathlon consisting of a 2.4-mile swim, a 112-mile bike, and a 26.2-mile. The center is where Steven receives treatment. According to Jeff, “In an effort to help in some small part, myself, Science Hill assistant coach Randy Shelton, and Science Hill wrestlers Drew Beamer and Matt Drish have set a goal to enter and complete this event. We wish to do this first to honor Steven and his family, and second, to help raise money for the cancer center.”

Donated funds will cover the $1200 entry fee, the majority of which goes directly to the Duke Cancer Center. Additional donations will go to the Brimer family to help defray medical costs. Please designate “For Steven” on the check. If you would prefer to send a donation directly to aid the Brimers, please designate by writing “Brimer Family” on the check.

Please forward this note to any and all who might be able to help and please contact me if you have any questions. On behalf of the Brimers and Jeff Price, thank you in advance for any and all support.

Luther Killian

Please meet Steven and his family at http://www.caringbridge.org/tn/stevenelias/index.htm, a website maintained by CaringBridge, a nonprofit 501©(3) organization, offering free Web pages to those receiving significant medical care.

Please send donations to:

Johnson City Wrestling Club

Jeff Price c/o Science Hill High School

1509 John Exum Parkway

Johnson City, TN

For all who are interested, we will continue to update our efforts by editing the original thread, listing sponsors and totals. Thanks.

By the way, Luther Killian is the man. He has jumped in and been of inestimable support to this project. Please let him know.

Edited by TDArtist

Hey everybody!

Thought I'd post a new thread so people will know we're going strong.

Without much effort we're at 2,330.00-I know we can beat that soundly.

Shelton and Price logged many miles on the bike last week. Drish and Beamer were there some too, but won't fall behind us. They have age and gravity going for them.

We're all way ahead of our training compared to last tri season. We all want to make sure we do this one right.

Check for updates as I edit the original post.

Again, thanks to everyone.

The Maroon Train

Edited by TDArtist

• 4 weeks later...

As things appear to be winding down, we have raised a total of close to $3200.00.

Thanks to everyone who has donated.

In a couple of weeks we'll begin our serious training for the event. We'll keep everyone posted on our progress.

Thanks again,

Jeff Price, Randy Shelton, Drew Beamer, Matt Drish, and Luther Killian

Everyone's base training is looking good so far. Matt Drish and I did an 80 mile ride on Good Friday. We were both feeling great at the end.

I'll be running the Louisville Marathon on Friday, and Randy will be running the Music City Half.

I've managed to stay in the pool enough that I am in pretty good swimming shape.

I'm sure I'm trained up enough to do a half ironman right now. May try one in late May.

We really want to be able to justify the good faith of everyone who has supported us. We also want do Steven and the Brimers proud.

Looking forward to the summer's training and the arrival of tri season.

Will keep you posted.

Price

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
WE ALL MADE IT!!!!  TEAM BRIMER WAS FAMOUS ALL DAY, HAD THE BIGGEST CHEERING SECTION, AND THE COOLEST RUNNING SHIRTS!

Will send official results as soon as they're posted.  Price bettered his 2003 time by 35 minutes despite being last out of the water.

What a day!

825387482[/snapback]