Temple vs. Halls at the 'Boro on Wed.

oldtimeballer63

Neither team has received a great deal of respect from the polls this year, but they have made the big show. The teams that got all the ink: Jackson Christian, Gordonsville, Pickett County, Chattanooga Christian, etc have all fallen by the wayside. The problem you have is there are no common opponents, but both teams are to be congratulated for getting there; Temple for the 3rd straight year after being left for dead following the graduation of Jake Skogen and Ryan Wadley. I think CPA still has to be considered the favorite; they are tough, but in a one-and-done situation anything could happen. Will we see Temple-Grace V?

Halls will be tough for any and every team in 1A. They have played a tough non-1A schedule and have one of the best players in 1A in Dane Strayhorn - he should've been a finalist for Mr. Basketball. Stayhorn can hurt you in many different ways - shooting the 3, driving the hoop, assists & steals. LaJoel Nance is a great compliment to Stayhorn in his ability to shoot the 15 foot jumper and play tight defense. Walter Tates is a solid interior player - though just 6'1 - he's one of the toughest. Point guard Robert Richmond is small but quick and can stick the 3. Damarcus Patrick comes off the bench with some great play for a freshman. Add in Jarvis Roberts and RaSean Patrick as role players. Halls can play the uptempo game as well as anyone and they can set up in a halfcourt offense with exceptional ball handlers. The Tigers are the best 1A team from west TN - Greenfield is a close 2nd. It wouldn't suprise me if either runs the table.

We are just over 24 hours to the first game of the tournament. I can't wait!!! Last year was my first tournament to miss in a lonngggg time!!! I can't wait to get back up there in the AM.

So finally, we get to talk about Temple vs Halls!!! I really don't know what to think about this game. Obviously I haven't seen Temple play in two years, so I really don't know much about them. They obviously have the experience factor on their side, although this is Halls' second trip in three years. Temple has always seemed to be a smart team in the 'Boro and that probably won't change this year, despite the loss of some key players from their last two title runs. They surpised me after beating Julian Terrell and his team two years ago. We were unable to take it to the big man and Temple did.

Halls, on the other hand, is quick and defends really well. Strayhorn gets most of the pub, as he should, but he has a great supporting cast. I would normally say that the Tigers will try to press you out of the gym, but we have gone away from that and played solid half-court D the past three outings to get here (although pressure was a key component in the fourth quarter of the last three Ws). Obviously staying out of foul trouble will be important for Halls as we only go two deep off the bench.

Looking forward to the game. Two years ago I was ecstatic to just be there and see my team. Then when we beat Pickett County, well that just took the CAKe!!!

Good luck to both teams!!!

Foul trouble could be a problem for Temple too. Sometimes the guards play overly aggresive on defense and end up hurting themselves. Most games, Temple only plays 7 guys a night too. I believe Temple will play hard, but the difference will be if the Crusaders play smart. My pick: a smart Temple team wins by 7, but it will be a great game.