Cumberland County

BBALLTN

Do you think hiring the AD's inexperienced daughter will deliver the program to the promised land. The rational behind firing the old coach was because she could not get it done, why on earth would you hire someone who has absolutely zero coaching experience? I'm just curious...

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think hiring the AD's inexperienced daughter will deliver the program to the promised land.  The rational behind firing the old coach was because she could not get it done, why on earth would you hire someone who has absolutely zero coaching experience?  I'm just curious...

It seems to me that basketball knowledge and playing experience is more important than prior coaching experience. What about Rachel Powell at Cleveland and Dana McWilliams at Upperman? If I remember correctly, VW played as a four year starter at CCHS, AAU ball for several years under Coach Burkey from Oak Ridge and now Greenville, four years as a starter for Coach Worrell at TECH where she was often times named Ohio Valley Conference player of the week. Her knowledge of the game is extensive. Furthermore, she should not be attacked on this board. She hasn't stolen anyone's job.

There sure seems to be a lot of speculation anyway. I did some checking also. The AD has no supervisory responsibility over the coaches. It is a part time position with the primary responsibilities being TSSAA compliance, purchase order approvals, and facility preparations. The AD can not fire or hire coaches. All personnel report directly to the principal. So your good ole boy scenerio is an excuse. Don't blame any potential replacement for a lackluster job.

I think that for Cumberland Co to get rid of their coach is a huge mistake. You can say what you want to about her record, but look at the teams that she schedules. That alone helps to improve her players. And you can say what you want about all of that talent, but when big post players miss 5-10 wide open layups a game, that has nothing to do with the coaching. Maybe all those talented players arent't so talented at all. I am sure that there are many schools out there who would have loved to be playing in the substate 3 out of the last 5 years and would just love for this particular coach to be at their school. It is just a shame that it is under these circumstances.

I noticed on another thread on this board..who is the best coach in the state?...Lamar Rogers and Lynn Burkey's names appeared over and over again. Ask either one of those coaches what they think about Leslie VanWinkle McCoy's basketball knowledge and whether they would recommend her for a coaching job. Bet I would know the answer.

Wow, it still amazes me how some people think! Fire an experienced coach that has taken her teams to the substate three of the last five years for one that has never coached a high school game? Wheres the logic there? I was told that a former assistant under the previous head coach that Amy placed was told that he was not hired because CCHS only hired coaches with previous HEAD coaching experience! Guess if the candidate is the daughter of the AD the qualifications change. Also, an earlier post mentioned Lamar Rogers as one of the best coaches in the state. Coach B has met him 7 times and beat his teams 4 times. Hmmm, how many wins does Van Winkle have against the great Rogers? And furthermore, as a lifelong fan and former player, I know basketball talent when I see it. And I can tell you right now, that CCHS is not a hotbed of talent! The school is not loaded with Div I athletes just waiting for some hot coach to come in and unleash their potential! We are not talking about a Shelbyville or Oak Ridge or even a Bradley County here. CCHS fans should try to look at the talent level thru clear lenses and not the rose colored glasses that moms and dads sometimes see their kids thru. And another thing, to the person that made the ridiculus remark about a player that panics and is not being prepared to shoot the layup, (and a country person should know this) YOU CAN LEAD A HORSE TO WATER BUT YOU CANT MAKE HIM DRINK! I have never saw a coach make or miss a layup in a game yet but I have seen plenty of high school, college and even pro players miss open layups....guess their coaches should be fired for not developing them enough!!!!

Edited by tigerqb

I think that for Cumberland Co to get rid of their coach is a huge mistake.  You can say what you want to about her record, but look at the teams that she schedules.  That alone helps to improve her players.  And you can say what you want about all of that talent, but when big post players miss 5-10 wide open layups a game, that has nothing to do with the coaching.  Maybe all those talented players arent't so talented at all.  I am sure that there are many schools out there who would have loved to be playing in the substate 3 out of the last 5 years and would just love for this particular coach to be at their school.  It is just a shame that it is under these circumstances.

Hey, I've got a great idea. Why not take your multi-talented coach back to Rockwood and rescue your floundering program. Send us ANY coach that truly knows and understands the game that can take our sub-par athletes and teach them basketball skills. Maybe a new coach might even get them in good enough condition that they can play more than five minutes without sucking air and patting themselves on the head to be taken out for a breather.

True, the Administration has made several mistakes in this program over the years. First, PH should have never given into the pressure and fired Coach Herring to start with: Secondly, he should never have been soft enough to give the job to AB, and thirdly, he should have let her go two years ago.

Attacking the team and throwing blame on the girls is not professional and is childish. Kids miss layups, but it doesn't cost a coach his/her job.

I'm not saying that the AD's daughter would not make a good coach. I'm saying don't beat around the bush with AB telling her that she is being fired because of a poor winning percentage. Call a spade a spade, and just tell her that they have to make room for one of their own. Tell her that they are not even going to post the position because her shoes had already been filled before she took them off.

To say that a team or a coach that has made it to the substate several times recently is underachieving is rediculous. Do you know how many programs can say that? Not many. Oh and by the way don't give me the stuff about the region is weak and you just have to finish fourth in the district. They still have to go through Middle Tennessee and Powerhouse Shelbyville to make it to the state and we all know how that goes.

This is a AAA job in a nice area of the state. I guess I have a hard time understanding why there is very little chatter regarding possible names for this job when it is one of the few known openings right now. Will there be any other interested candidates, other than the young lady already being mentioned? Not that she wouldn't do a good job.

What are some of the pros and cons you guys see with this position?

TWHOOPS, You don't have a clue what you are talking about. They are not releasing AB because they already gave the job to Leslie V. McCoy. They needed to fire AB years ago but they just now decided to do it. It just happens that Leslie is just graduating from college and PH asked her if she was interested. That is what happened and you don't need to be saying otherwise. You don't anything about this situation from their side. :D

For everyone else, why are you blaming the AD or Leslie they have nothing to do with why anyone gets fired.

Hey, I've got a great idea. Why not take your multi-talented coach back to Rockwood and rescue your floundering program. Send us ANY coach that truly knows and understands the game that can take our sub-par athletes and teach them basketball skills. Maybe a new coach might even get them in good enough condition that they can play more than five minutes without sucking air and patting themselves on the head to be taken out for a breather.

Rockwood has a good coach and our program is looking up. Our young players did alot of growing up last year and we see nothing but good things in the future for the lady tigers. As for taking any coach that knows and understands the game, look at Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Ted Williams, etc, etc, these were all great players who KNEW and UNDERSTOOD the game and they were total failures in their quests to coach or manage teams in their respective sports! Coaching is not about being a good ex-player, its all about being able to manage young people, pull them together as a team, getting them to buy into your program and believe in your system. If the kids dont respond, no coach can be successful and if all the kids hear at night around the dinner table is how sorry their coach is, then how do you expect them to trust in a coach that mommy and daddy talks bad about all the time? Also, last time I played ball (and I admit it was some years ago) the coaches couldnt get in shape for the players. That was the players duty. If players are too lazy to get out and run, work out, do drills, and other necessary things on their own, then coaches would never be able to coach, they would have to spend all their time on conditioning and never have time to coach basketball. Champions are built in the offseason.

TIGERQB "Coaching is not about being a good ex-player, its all about being able to manage young people, pull them together as a team, getting them to buy into your program and believe in your system."

You say this but don't you think that someone who is a guidance counselor is going to be able to "manage young people and pull them together as a team"? I'm pretty sure that she will be able to "get them to buy into the program and believe in her system."

:D