17U & 18U State Tournament

In the 17U, the Tennessee Top Guns won the championship over the Nashville Pacesetters by about 15. The national qualifiers are : 1) Tennessee Top Guns

2) Nashville Pacesetters 3) Jackson Lady Roadrunners

In the 18U, there were only 3 teams. All three advance to Nationals. The order of

finish was 1) West TN. Running Mustangs 2) TN. Elite (Jackson) and 3) TN. Pride

It was interesting that the best 4 teams in the tourney was all in one pool with an above average team in the 5th spot. Even the 5th team could have beaten any in the other pool. Who made the pool up?

Tops: Lost to Bullets by +15, beat Pacesetters 30+ and Blue Devils 25+, Won by Forfeit with Comets

Bullets: Lost by 8 by Pacesetters, Won 30+ over BlueDevils, Won 15+ over Top Guns (who won the 17U State), lost to Comets (which forfeited two games on Fri night to the tops and pacesetters).

Normally, a team has to check in prior to first game, or otherwise forfeit their remaining games. A player or players can check in late, but the team is supposed to check in at their assigned time. The Clarksville Comets missed their first two games (pacesetters & top guns), therefore going up +13 in the pool. Bullets played the comets (3rd games for Bullets in less than 18 hrs.) with comets fresh and lost by 1. This caused the Bullets not to advance to Sunday playoffs and knocked them out.

In summary, the pools were lopsided (4 strong teams in one pool- any one capable of beating each other-depending on fresh legs), with only 1 medium to strong team in the other with 4 weaker teams. Somehow, not evenly divided up.

any comments?

Commander is exactly right. The pools are drawn blind in open meeting by folk who are not involved with the running of the tournament. Its all luck of the draw. Get use to it. Its the only way, and not everyone is ever going to be happy. To be the best you have to play the best!

I have no problem with the pools. I know that is the luck of the draw sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. My problem is allowing the team to forfeit the first two games and then come in and play on fresh legs against a team that has already played three games. I guess AAU is not as strict as I thought it was on those kinds of things. There was a possibility that the team that did not show up and sign in until their third scheduled game could have advanced to the nationals.

Edited by sportsfanatic