Up and coming goalies

bigred09

Next year will be a good year for goalies; MUS, CBHS, and McCallie all have their starting goalies who will all be seniors next year. It will be a tight race next year. Out of Rainer, Taylor, and Baucom; I think Rainer will come out on top, what do yall think. He just seems like a better "all around" goalie. (saves, clearing, ect.)

dude dont talk like you know everything if you've got the facts wrong. come on dude give me a break!

the only thing you are right about is that Rainer will probably be the best keep next year.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Harris Abernathy, at webb, is a freshman-rising sophmore-and started this year. granted it was bc Webb had to move their goaly, Hap Collier, to middie bc of the need for offense. but Harris has shown he can hang with the big dogs. he leads the league in saves, but also in goals against...but, also in shots against. so put it itno perspective. he has already been highlighted by some as one of, if not the, most talented player to come through webb. don't know if you guys remember Craig Paterson but he's the best goaly to come out of TN-played at webb and then Navy-and after watching Harris practice said he was on his way to being an all american, which craig was. i'm gonna put that out right now too. i say by the time Harris is a jr he'll be in contention for all american. he has almost no formal training at all....just ridding on pure, raw talent. after this summer and goalie camps and having his talent honed he'll be one of the top goalies, i say. he still has a long way to go but he's definately on his way.

Edited by TNtarHeel

MUS and CBHS both definately have an advantage of having their starting goalies back. Problem with CBHS is will they be able to give their goalie a defense to give him a chance. MUS is definately takes big hits to with graduation of Taylor, Embry, and McCracken. But i guess as of right now Rainer and Taylor for MSU and CBHS respectivly are favorites for next years 1st and 2nd team all state selections. Any one else got others?

In the web game i saw, i didnt see to much raw talent.

i don't know what game you saw, but like you said, you only saw one game. he's a frosh, as i said.....very young and has improved a whole heck of a lot over the season. every game i saw, only 3 or so, spaced out across the season, he improved. oh, and i guess it doesn't mean much when a coach, who has coached all americans, one of them being the undisputed best goaly to ever play in TN, says that youngest abernathy is the most talented player he has EVER coached. like i said, he has almost no formal training, is very young and has lots of room to mature. he was basically thrown into the goal this year and told to be the starting goalie and play against some of the best teams in the south.

I'd have to agree with TntarHeel not just because i play for webb, but because that kid has talent and hes only a freshman. Yeah he had his off days where he couldnt stop anything, but when he's got it its going to be hard to score on him. All i know is that when he's a junior or senior he will be a canidate for all american. Thanks Tntarheel for stickin up Harris.

TNtarHeel:

Before you start throwing out undisputed titles, you might want to look a little further back than 1998. Kirk Howell was an All-American goalie in 1995. He led Notre Dame to the NCAA Final Four in 2001 and earned 2nd team All-American honors that year as well. I agree that Patterson was a great goalie, but the best to come out of TN is up for debate.

In the Webb game when we layed them, it credited Abernathy with something like 17 saves. He had maybe 5, so that number of saves he has is a little skewed. They counted every shot that was off cage as a save. He also did not save one decent shot. I admit, the weather conditions were not the best, but I wouldn't be saying he will be all-state just yet.

whaooo. from what i remember he didnt do half bad. also that the fact that he stuffed keizer(sp) like 3 times in a row. so imrightyourwrong... i geuss not every one is perfect with their facts. is the reason he stinks is because he has 263 saves? thats almost a 100 more then teh closest contendor behind him in the regular season.

Craig Patterson was a very good goalie, but Kirk Howell is hands down the best keeper that TN has every produced, probably the best overall player period, and I think it will be a long way down the road before we see another goalie of his caliber. I've played with and against both, and I played against Craig in college, so I'm pretty confident in my assessment. Both are very talented, but Kirk would be the best, and Craig would be right behind him.

also that the fact that he stuffed keizer(sp) like 3 times in a row.  .

Really? which game were u at, the one where Kizer had 3g 3a? I'm pretty sure your "incredible goalie" had 7 saves in the unbiased stat book, 17 in Webb's.

He never stuffed Kizer, his only saves were ones that he didn't see and hit him in the helmet.

Edited by Imrightyourewrong