Kirkland: Pros or Bama?

nowaynohow

Those are good grades, but the only problem is that SEC schools like Alabama aren't allowed to stack academic scholarships on top of athletic scholarships, if I'm not mistaken, its rare to get that and any division 1 school, it might be more common however at a smaller D-I or D-II school

gameday,

The last seminar I attended had two SEC coaches. Both talked on how important it was to keep the athletes grades up to be able to blend athletic and academic money. I haven't looked up the rules in the SEC, just reporting what the coaches said.

They could have been referring to smaller colleges, but I understood it to be their own programs.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gameday,

I decided to look up some information for the young students that may be interested in this topic. It looks like the NCAA actually encourages school to recruit academic gifted athletes, "The exclusion of such awards from the team limits will reward academic excellence and provide more financial opportunities for qualified students who, otherwise, are unable to receive the maximum amount of athletically and academically related aid for which they qualify."

The student-athlete does have to earn any academic award just like any other student.

Link: Scholarship Blending - NO. 98-52 ACADEMIC HONOR AWARDS

Players, Keep up the grades!

Edited by HiwasseeVol

Most people don't discuss numbers and with a fully funded SEC University baseball program only having 11.7 scholarships total, full rides are very rare. If they happen they usually are for pitchers.

With that said, Chris is a very good student and Alabama should have been able to blend some academic money with the baseball money for a very good scholarship.

i have it on good authority that while kirkland is certainly not slow, his academics are not top notch...it will be interesting to see, if he goes to college, how he will fare in that level of education

Chris had a (3.9 GPA, 26 ACT) last time I checked. That's can get some academic money at Alabama and most schools.

I'm impressed that you have Kirkland's GPA and ACT score...are those kind of stats readily available somewhere?

For clarification, Chris certainly performs above average in the classroom, and I hope that he can also attain some academic scholarships. Still, college is a totally different ball game from high school. If he does proceed to Alabama, I'm sure he will have athletic tutors, study sessions, and any other support needed to maintain good grades.

Of course, I agree with you Hiwassee, players should keep up those grades!

Most people don't discuss numbers and with a fully funded SEC University baseball program only having 11.7 scholarships total, full rides are very rare. If they happen they usually are for pitchers.

With that said, Chris is a very good student and Alabama should have been able to blend some academic money with the baseball money for a very good scholarship.

i have it on good authority that while kirkland is certainly not slow, his academics are not top notch...it will be interesting to see, if he goes to college, how he will fare in that level of education

Chris had a (3.9 GPA, 26 ACT) last time I checked. That's can get some academic money at Alabama and most schools.

I'm impressed that you have Kirkland's GPA and ACT score...are those kind of stats readily available somewhere?

For clarification, Chris certainly performs above average in the classroom, and I hope that he can also attain some academic scholarships. Still, college is a totally different ball game from high school. If he does proceed to Alabama, I'm sure he will have athletic tutors, study sessions, and any other support needed to maintain good grades.

Of course, I agree with you Hiwassee, players should keep up those grades!

Many players pass along that information to me or I receive it as part of showcase information for coaches. If they don't mind I then keep in in their profile because most coaches ask "What do your grades and test score look like?" in their top three questions.

HVOL,

Thanks for clearing that up. I had heard both ways on that subject, and wasn't to familiar with people blending the two scholarships. You sure do your homework on that stuff. Besides, that should be an incentive to get strong academic athletes at your program if you're only allowed 11.7 scholarships which I find ridiculous.

HV is on top of his game as usual -

nowaynohow - what college experiences are you talking about - the "keg in the closet" - ? sounds like that's where your at right now - don't eat that 2 day old pizza left on the counter!!

isn't it wonderful to have options? the more you have, the better! if more young people understood that!! No grades - no options - low signing bonus!!!

college is not ncecessary to be successful - in some cases it is extremely helpful, in others it isn't - for the most part in general - education is a racket about $$$

Do you think Major D1 football programs recruit kids so they can get an education?

at least in baseball, they try, it's the only way the can get enough players, at any level!

Edited by baseballwizard

nowaynohow - what college experiences are you talking about - the "keg in the closet" - ? sounds like that's where your at right now - don't eat that 2 day old pizza left on the counter!!

isn't it wonderful to have options? the more you have, the better! if more young people understood that!! No grades - no options - low signing bonus!!!

college is not ncecessary to be successful - in some cases it is extremely helpful, in others it isn't - for the most part in general - education is a racket about $$$

Do you think Major D1 football programs recruit kids so they can get an education?

at least in baseball, they try, it's the only way the can get enough players, at any level!

keg in the closet? old pizza on the counter? what are you talking about?

HV is totally on the ball, and I commended him for it. What's your deal baseballwizard?

Again, go for the grades...they should be priority no matter what your motivation (bonuses or personal achievement...the latter is of course better)

nowway no how - just shows you that you don't have a clue - you were talking about college experiences and i said your's must have been a keg in the closet or a cold day old pizza using a kenny chesney song as the comparision -

as i said hv is on his game as usual - look below, i clearly was finished with HV and moved on to you - i even asked you the question (what college experiences are you talking about?)

Previous post below -

nowway no how - just shows you that you don't have a clue - you were talking about college experiences and i said your's must have been a keg in the closet or a cold day old pizza using a kenny chesney song as the comparision -

as i said hv is on his game as usual - look below, i clearly was finished with HV and moved on to you - i even asked you the question (what college experiences are you talking about?)

Previous post below -

Ok, baseball wizard, I apologize for not knowing the lyrics to that Kenny Chesney song...

When I mention college, I am just saying that Kirkland will be facing a whole new level of demands and expectations that supercede his at South Doyle. Though not all classes will challenge him, most will. He will need to be responsible and committed to his education. Luckily, he will have extra support as an athlete. I would have liked to have even an 1/8 of the attention and resources athletes receive while I was in school.

FYI, I was not a person who spent a lot of time around a keg. Cold pizza, on the other hand, was a good friend to the college student. No hard feelings for the miscommunication.