Is this the Best year for TN Summer Ball?

In my opinion, in the 8 years I have been coaching AAU/Summer ball in TN, this is shaping up to potentially be the best year for TN teams ever... In most years, there are one, two, maybe three TN teams that would excel nationally, pushing for a spot among the 25 best teams in the country. But this year, TN has 5, plus a 16 year old team that could make a major splash in 17's...

Memphis YOMCA, Memphis Bulldogs, Midstate Ballerz Elite, Tn Travelers, and Tn Dreams, all have major wins Nationally, and each could make a case by the end of the summer for nationally ranked status...

YOMCA is, well, the Y. The Y is consistently one of the top teams in the country, won the AAU Nationals last year, and finshed Top 8 in the final Summer Team Poll...

Memphis Bulldogs, though losing to the Y by 3 this year, is my pick as the best in the state with some convincing wins at the Ballerz Challenge of Champions and the Dallas Mustangs Invitational. The Bulldogs beat the vaunted Mustangs at their tourney... The Bulldogs right now are a Top 5 team Nationally in my opinion...

Midstate Ballerz Elite, well, I won't go into any more detail right now...

Tn Travelers are having a great summer after two straight dissapointing summers. They look to be back this year behind Gordon, Cameron from AL, and a host of others. The Travelers made the finals of the St. Louis Invitational, losing to the Mustangs by 16...

Tn Dreams have a ton of Nationally acclaimed wins, and only TN losses against the Bulldogs, Ballerz, and Travelers... The Dreams performance in Houston and St. Louis, which included a 2 point OT loss to the Mustangs, proved the Dreams are a national player....

Never have 5 teams from TN made such a splash Nationally, which is a credit to the Programs in TN getting that much stronger. We should all relish this banner year of TN AAU/Summer hoops...

Edited by gomab2

Well I do Agree with U on this GOMAB2 its going to be a GREAT Finish, and may the BEST Teams be Ranked Nationally....

I feel TN has proven they can Play with the BIG Boys at the National Level... and with so much Comp in TN at the High School Level. that makes our AAU Teams Better,,,

Plus Our Coaches are Good,, in their recruiting of elite Players in TN... No matter what other people think we are representing our selves well.... The Y, The Bulldogs, The Ballerz, The Travelers, and that Pesty Dream Team,, All these Teams come to play every Night, thats what I enjoy about these teams!!!!

The Best PLayers I've seen in TN since 96,,, Marcus Maybin, Ron Mercer, & Shawn Marion etc....

Those pesky Bulldogs might not be so pesky, but rather good. Idlewild has lost to them every time they've played them ranging from 5 points to 27. I'd be willing to bet Idlewild could play with the rest of the teams from the state, outside of Memphis where unquestionably the two MOST TALENTED teams reside...whether they are the best, thats another story.

Dallas Mustangs have not faired well against TN teams, that's at least 3 teams from this age group that have beaten the talented Mustangs...Their PG Byron Eaten is a Top 100 high school football prospect that reportedly runs a 4.4 according to Lemming.

I believe the reason this year has been so successful is because that there might be less teams? Memphis does not have as many teams at 17 as they do at 16,15...obviously the talent looks much better. The trotters, rebels, bellevue, second presbyterian, and a few other perennial AAU teams do not extend to 17. The Bulldogs have gotten many of the Rebels players and become even better (Kinnard, Stafford).

The other reason is because the talented 16 year old teams are playing up...If Thaddeous Young of Mitchell was playing for a 17 year old team instead of going across state lines to get a summer education...I'd say it's stronger than ever.

Gomab, I have heard that J.P. Prince is playing for the Y, but I have yet to see him in a uniform...have you heard anything? Same with 6'7 Colin Cunningham of WSHS...I know for sure they aren't on pump n run.

I'm hearing JP with the Y as well... Haven't heard that about Collin yet, but it would be a huge pickup: Heard Collin may be with Bartlett Grizzlies...

The reason I can't put Idlewild up with the rest is that they don't play a National schedule... They didn't go to Houston, or Dallas, or a Memorial Day tourney, etc... Are they talented? Yes, but until they play a travel team schedule like the first 5, then they aren't a national contender...

Yes i agree with all of the good teams but riverdogs have a good chance of doing very well this summer. they have alot of very good players from walker valley, brqadley, and cleveland and can very easily win alot of tourneys. but i am on the mustangs and they whooped us very bad. brandon elrod just destroyed us with his outstanding pitching.

Oh, I'm not saying Idlewild is a national contender. I do think they are probably one of the top 5 teams in the state, but they didn't even qualify for the state tournament. Their players are always having to skip games and practices to attend to other matters...work, church, injured, etc. Which is fine. They dont have enough big men. Obviously I am bias to them, but we realize that without having full time commitment from everyone involved, its tough to continually succeed.

This whole thing is about the kids, If the kids are having fun, and learning, then that is all that you can ask. I simply answered your question as to why I think this might be the best year for TN Summer basketball.

I do think if Idlewild has all their players...including 6'6 320 pound Michael Oher (all state in basketball and top 100 football player) they would be even stronger but he broke his hand. He scored 45 points in two games and was 5/6 on three pointers in the AAU substate (unfortunately he was not present for the first game against the Bulldogs).

Good luck to all the teams in the AAU state tournament, I believe TN will be well represented.