DII Final

mrh11

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i wouldnt call the goals that went in "shots". One was PK off of a terrible call. while the second was a fluke where one guy shot and hit another player and went over our galie's head. overall it was a very even game, the ball may have been on USN's side of the feild more, but USN had some potent attempts al well.

i dont play soccer, but if you were at the game it seemed like MUS had about 14 guys on the feild instead of 11 if you know what i mean.

Why doesnt a team that loses ever admit that they got outplayed? it's always the refs fault and the other team gets lucky? why is that? USN, you lost! I wanted you guys to win, but you lost, its that simple, admit it.

nickforte. i agree with you. usn came out slow today and may have been outplayed, but it is impossible to deny that an unmerited PK can have a very significant effect on the game. especially when it is the only goal through seventy-five minutes of play before a ping-ponger off a corner ends up going in. the first half was won by MUS, but usn came out strong in the second half (in both halves the team more often on the offensive was the one playing with the wind at its back) and the following numbers from TSSAA.org reflect the closeness of the game.

SHOTS: MUS - 11, USN - 9.

SAVES: MUS - 8, USN 6 (Paul Fuchs).

-----FOULS: MUS - 7, USN 12--------

CORNER KICKS: MUS - 2, USN 3.

GOALS: MUS - Brian Evans (9th Minute, Penalty Kick); MUS - Blake Wiedman (76th Minute, Assist - Clayton Thomas).

I realize that partisans see penalties through non-objective eyes, and that I am no exception. That having been said, the early PK call against USN was in my opinion certainly not a "terrible call" nor was it totally "unmerited."

MUS sophomore midfielder David Shochat (#7) was WIDE OPEN (and I do mean VERY WIDE OPEN) heading into the box from the left side and a LATE pursuing USN player brought him down several yards into the box. It clearly wasn't a blatant tackle to prevent the goal (that would have meant a red card and ejection) and it did fall in the area of a judgment call, as many/most PKs are. But I think the fact that Shochat was SO OPEN in the box and then was brought down SO DEEP in the box that tipped the scale for the split-second decision that the center referee had to make.

I think most objective, non-partisan, soccer-knowledgeable fans would AT WORST characterize it as a call that could have gone either way, not "terrible" or "unmerited."

Anyone else at the game have an opinion?

I also find in soccer that it is the mistake just BEFORE the "offending play" that often causes the problem (in this case, for USN). Shochat did the right thing by continuing to take the space given him and pushing toward the goal when USN's very talented but inexperienced sophomore keeper Paul Fuchs didn't do what he arguably should have done: charge right at Schochat to force the shot and minimize his shooting angles. Had that happened, the PK tackle would likely never have occurred.

Please understand, I mean to take nothing away from Mr. Fuchs. Keepers must make instinctive, splt-second decisions that only experience can teach. Mr. Fuchs played remarkably well for someone who according to published reports just started playing keeper this year. I'm sure his steady improvement was a key factor in USN's rise from obscurity to greatness.

In this vein, I do want to mention that the refereeing at Spring Fling soccer overall was remarkably good. Kudos to the refs.

Also, props to USN. They were a MUCH improved team compared to earlier in the year, and played with a lot of heart the whole game and the whole tournament. When you consider the size of the school, their accomplishments are all the more impressive.

I was a neutral observer and I thought the PK was called because the USN player made a recovery tackle after being beaten into the box by the MUS player. My view was that the USN defender was slightly behind on the tackle. The USN mistake was to allow a player to get behind the defense which leads to these types of calls. USN fought bravely the entire game but MUS was the better side this day. Props to both teams

There is no question that the ghost of CBHS was at the state title game on Saturday. While I was obviously happy for Ben and his MUS teammates (the thrill of victory) I really did feel badly for CBHS players (the agony of defeat). We both have a lot of friends (players and parents) associated with CBHS soccer. Also, it's hard not to respect such a good team and such a great track record.

I felt especially badly for Evan Griffin (CBHS senior keeper). In my opinion, he was NOT off his line on that first PK he blocked: he moved side-to-side, not forward. I can't imagine what it must have been like to go from the elation of stopping their first PK to the depressing reality that it wasn't going to count. I'm not a ref basher and I know they aren't perfect, but that call very likely changed the outcome of the game.

The state title is great, but I think most MUS soccer players and parents would rather have played CBHS in the title game. Like all real competitors, many/most of us wanted a third shot at you guys.

That attitude, of course, stands in stark contrast to that of the ECS players and parents I saw OPENLY and LOUDLY pulling for USN during the PK shootout in your game. I've always believed that if you're from Memphis you pull for the Memphis team, which is what I did. Obviously, those ECS people preferred an easier path to the title instead over local ties. I imagine that's why I saw so many CBHS peole pulling for MUS/against ECS on Thursday night, despite the longtime rivalry.

Props to your guys on a great season, including YOUR WIN IN KNOXVILE over the supposedly invincible Farragut . . . and YOUR TWO WINS over D2 state champion MUS.

P.S. I will happily pass on congrats to Ben if you tell me who you are.

Artie Quinn. ECS parents pulling for USN in our game and ya'lls game is bull$hit. don't you think it would make them feel somewhat good, sort of like I do, knowing they beat the state champions during the season. cause i know c. bogan and I were giving the USN fans heck. congrats again, ya'll stepped up when it counted.