White House 2004

PredatorXL

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Pharmacy was after my time. We used to hang out at the "Blue Devil Hut" back when the Civic Center WAS the WHHS and the little old police station was our Junior High (back before the term "middle" school). Mr. Woodall, who now has another school named after him, was then the principal at what is now Heritage High. Hwy 76 had homes scattered along the highway with plenty of green grass in between, not the retail strip it is now. The roads on the Sumner County side like Palmers Chapel was farm after farm (man...I MISS that). There was no fast food places, no football stadium (other than the field beside the school) and our only sports were basketball and football. Baseball, soccer or any other sport wasn't even in our agenda. Driver's Training WAS a credited class, and paddling, "under God" in our pledge and a prayer before school began WAS the way of life....no debates, no protests.

The worst thing we ever did was roll a yard or two. I think occasionally a "hoodlum" (as my parents called them) might throw an egg or two. The biggest protest we ever did was a School Walk-Out...and I can't even remember what for. Our football team played little schools like us...East Robertson, Westmoreland and Watertown to name a few. Course there's always been that Greenbrier rival when we each took turns whipping each other's behinds. Portland and Springfield wasn't yet on our radar.

When you said a kid's name, everyone knew who they were. And even better, all the parents KNEW your parents or knew of them...and the kids knew that if one parent saw you doing something wrong, it wouldn't be long til your own parents heard about it.

I too miss the OLD days in White House. So many of the people I see here now are "transplants" weren't here to see the SMALL town we enjoyed back then. Progress is good sometimes...but sometimes it sure would be good to go back again.

Edited by WHHS1975

The Pharmacy was after my time.  We used to hang out at the "Blue Devil Hut" back when the Civic Center WAS the WHHS and the little old police station was our Junior High (back before the term "middle" school).  Mr. Woodall, who now has another school named after him, was then the principal at what is now Heritage High.  Hwy 76 had homes scattered along the highway with plenty of green grass in between, not the retail strip it is now.  The roads on the Sumner County side like Palmers Chapel was farm after farm (man...I MISS that).  There was no fast food places, no football stadium (other than the field beside the school) and our only sports were basketball and football.  Baseball, soccer or any other sport wasn't even in our agenda.  Driver's Training WAS a credited class, and paddling, "under God" in our pledge and a prayer before school began WAS the way of life....no debates, no protests. 

The worst thing we ever did was roll a yard or two.  I think occasionally a "hoodlum" (as my parents called them) might throw an egg or two.  The biggest protest we ever did was a School Walk-Out...and I can't even remember what for.    Our football team played little schools like us...East Robertson, Westmoreland and Watertown to name a few.  Course there's always been that Greenbrier rival when we each took turns whipping each other's behinds.  Portland and Springfield wasn't yet on our radar.

When you said a kid's name, everyone knew who they were.  And even better, all the parents KNEW your parents or knew of them...and the kids knew that if one parent saw you doing something wrong, it wouldn't be long til your own parents heard about it.

I too miss the OLD days in White House.  So many of the people I see here now are "transplants" weren't here to see the SMALL  town we enjoyed back then.  Progress is good sometimes...but sometimes it sure would be good to go back again.

825298530[/snapback]

Great post!