LaToya Bullard at 2004 USA Development Festival

http://www.usabasketball.com

This picture is on the front page of the USA Basketball website...I don't know how long it will be up, but its up right now.

main-06_17_04.jpg

Ready to Roll

LaToya Bullard and her

USA South Team are

anxious to get the

Festival games going.

They'll get their chance at

11 am Friday morning

when action tips-off.

Wow...right on the front page of the USA basketball website...she's so cute!...of course I'm extremely biased!!

Edited by caramelcutiepie

Well, LaToya's showing what's she made of today. In the first game, she had 11 points including a game winning layup to push the South squad to victory over the North team. Here's the link...

http://www.usabasketball.com

And They're Off

In the first preliminary round session of games, the USA South Team's LaToya Bullard drove the lane for a last-second shot to lift her squad over the USA North 70-69. She finished with 11 points, while Crystal Boyd and Angelica Robinson scored 15 and 13 points, respectively, for the South. Lindsay Shrader posted a double-double of 14 points and 11 rebounds for the North. On the East-West court, the West prevailed 107-93 with the help of five players in double digits, including Alexis Gray-Lawson's 16, Courtney Paris and Erika Arriaran each had 14, Abby Waner notched 13 and Jillian Harmon added 10. Marissa Coleman scored 17 points to lead the East, while Kristi Toliver tallied 15, Renee Montgomery score 12 and Yolanda Lavender added 10. Check back soon for the full recaps and box scores!

Here is a more accurate story on the first game:

http://www.usabasketball.com/women/2004/04...f_session1.html

South 70, North 69

Despite falling behind by as many as 15 points in the second quarter, the South inched its way back into the game and persevered through a tight second half making the keys plays to earn a 70-69 win over the North.

The North team began to pull away in the second quarter, and behind the play of guard Tiffanie Shives (Lansing Christian / Lansing, Mich.) and forward Marshae Dotson (Mifflin / Mifflin, Ohio) the North pulled ahead 37-22 with 1:30 remaining before halftime.

When the South team needed a boost, South head coach Jill Prudden (Oak Ridge / Oak Ridge, Tenn.) called for her team to press, and 5-11 guard Crystal Boyd (Science Magnet / Little Rock, Ark.) and 6-5 center Angelica Robinson (Marietta / Marietta, Ga.) stepped up to the plate, delivering 10 points collectively to help the South shrink the North advantage to 37-32 at half.

"I like to be the energy person on the floor," said Boyd. "I wanted to get my teammates involved because it's not all about me, and we needed to play team basketball."

"I thought we played in spurts," said Prudden. "We rushed some things offensively instead of letting the game come to us. We got down early but we let our defense get us back in the game. We put the press on [at the end of the half], I thought we had the athleticism and quickness to pressure, but you can't do it all the time. You don't want to show your hand too early."

The South team didn't see its first lead in the game until Rashanda McCants (Asheville / Asheville, N.C.) drained a 3-pointer with 7:22 left in the third to put the South ahead 45-44.

The lead switched back and forth from there until the last 10 seconds of the game when South's LaToya Bullard (Craigmont/ Memphis, Tenn.) drove for a layup with six seconds showing on the clock. The North wasn't able to get a shot off and the South had the come-from-behind win.

"Coach said if we went out there and just played good defense, we should win the game," said Bullard. "I wanted to be the leader so I came down with the ball and showed her that I could run the play right."

Although the game was won by defense, the South's Bullard finished with 11 points and three assists; Robinson finished with 13 points and six rebounds; Boyd led the team with 15 points, seven rebounds and four assists;

For the North, Shives contributed 10 points; Dotson had 13 points and four rebounds; and Lindsay Schrader (Bartlett / Bartlett, Ill.) was a quiet force, finishing with 14 points, 11 rebounds, four assists and four steals.

Great job C-cutiepie. In the old days, I would have given you a good mark.

Hey...I'm getting pretty good at this cut and paste stuff!!! LOL!

I meant to attach more stuff this past weekend, but I was VERY busy...if I get some time today, I will. The South team got third and I hate that I forgot to mention that Tennessee's own Jill Prudden from Oak Ridge was teh coach of the South Team. I think she did an excellent job and had the South not had to face the superbly-talented West team twice, they could have gotten the silver medal. The West just dominated and we all felt they would with 5 or 6 out of the top 10 players in the class of 2005 on one team, including the #1 (Erika Arriaran) and #2 (Courtney Paris) player who is 6'3 250 lbs.