Region 4-4A Jamboree

InDepthInsider

Well Well, They were some good contest tonight at Rhea County. The Jamboree was a fun one and gave oppertunity to look at some teams from around the Chattanooga Area.

Quarter 1- Cleveland 0 Brainerd 0- This game was nothing but a defensive struggle. Brainerds QB Smiley looked to have alot of potential, but not much help else where around the ball. He had a very impressive arm, and won the QB Long Throw Challenge at halftime of the Jamboree. Brainerd's running back #5 was the only other bright spot in their quarter. He ran the ball well and had tremendous speed. Cleveland looked like one of the weaker Cleveland teams that I have seen in a long time. They struggled to move the ball against Brainerd. They were only able to pull out a few 7 or 8 yard runs here and there. Their was a horrible call by the refs at the start of the quarter when Cleveland QB was getting sacked and clearly through the ball forward that was ruled a fumble. Cleveland was not as quick or as talented as I had heard.

Quarter 2- Central 0 Hixson 17- This game was the biggest surprise of the night. So many people had talked about this Central team for the upcoming year. First play from scrimmage Tony Swafford of Hixson took the ball some 60 yards before tripping himself up on the Pounder 2. The following play was a fumble forced by Linebacker Brent Hayes. Yet, the Central Defense struggled the next time Hixson got the ball as Tony Swafford again broke through the Central Defense and took it 50 yards for a Wildcat Touchdown. Central looked really weak on Defense, with the exception of the Hayes forced fumble. Hixson's defense blanked Central and did not allow them into their own territory through the 15 minutes of play. Central's QB looked to have potential but had no protection all night. Central spread the feild well, and looked to throw the ball every time, but completed very few passes. Hixson was by far the best looking team in this Jamboree and also had the most impressive player with Tony Swafford.

Quarter 3- Red Bank 14 Rhea County 12- This game started off with Red Bank doing a great job of spreading the field and letting QB Jacob Fabry spread the ball around. Speedy Quientin Brown dropped two TD passes early in the 15 minutes in one drive. Yet, Fabry made up for it and connected later on in the drive for a touchdown. Very first Rhea County play was a fumble recoverd by Red Bank. Fabry then led the Lions down the field for another TD. The only weak spot Red Bank showed came in the second half of the 15 minutes when Rhea County twice used passing to drive the field and put in two scores. Rhea County then had the oppertunity to take the lead late in the quarter when a Red Bank defensive back made an interception and took the ball 90 yards back for a TD, only to be called back half way through the return for a holding call.

Quarter 4- East Ridge 7 Rhea County 0- This game was another huge defensive struggle. East Ridge's touchdown came late in the 15 minute period off a touchdown run. Rhea County looked very good passing the ball against Red Bank, but struggled with their passing game against East Ridge. East Ridge looked to have a alot of speed coming from back Tony Taylor as well as good hard noised running from #22. Rhea County looked good, but also looked young and is aching for experience.

Overall Rankings of the Jamboree.

1. Hixson

2. Red Bank

3. East Ridge

4. Rhea County

5. Central

6. Cleveland

7. Brainerd

thumb

I was very stunned to see that Brainerd held Cleveland to zero points. Cleveland is always the pick by many to hold the region crown. Rhea County also didn't impress me much either, much like Central. Rhea County lost twice on the same night, and they just seemed to have no leaders or above-average players. Central looked to struggle a great deal without Despaux in their line-up. Brent Hayes, their star player, only accounted for 1-2 stops on the night, one being a forced fumble.

Nothing like a jamboree to get you fired up about the upcoming season. Hixson looked very impressive(I thought that they may have swapped uniforms with Cleveland before the jamboree!!! Ha Ha) and so did Red bank and on the other end Central, Cleveland and Rhea didn't.

I knew Hixson would be tough but they looked all around awesome and Red Bank may have the rest of a team that Fabry and Brown needed last year.

Brainerd looked better on defense but has to find a way to give Daniel Smiley time to work his majic, the recivers have to get open and catch the ball and the line has to protect better. Branierds tailback looked good with the carries he got.

East Ridge looked solid but not impressive I don't know how much tallent they have but they are well coached so they will be at the least competitive.

As good or as bad as some of these teams looked this is just a jamboree, in some cases it means less than even a scrimmage because the whole region is there and most coaches don't like to show anything on offense or defense. Also no coach scouts or watches film or prepares for a jamboree or scrimmage opponent. Coaching and strategy isn't much of a factor in these events so its usually the team that is the most athletic or fired up the comes out on top. Cleveland may not be as athletic as in years past (they usually look great in the jamboree) but that doesn't mean that they won't win 9 or 10 games this year. I have a hard time beleiving that Hixson is as good as they look or that Central will be as bad as they looked. If there is one thing that Central has its a good head coach so don't count out the Purple Puds yet. The same goes with Cleveland and Rhea because there is a lot more to the game of football than just showing up and playing. I am biased but I have watched Rhea alot this preseason and I know that the defense is much better than they looked last night. It don't mean nothing til they start counting wins and losses.

This should be a interesting year in 4-4A. thumb