Whats wrong in Gainesboro

4th&Goal2Go

Can anyone tell me whats wrong with Blue Devil football? We have very little imagination on the field and seem to be losing players. What can we do to turn our program around. When I played we didn't win a lot of games but we did have fun, its not even fun to watch them anymore. What can we do?

To my boys Jon, Travis, Ryan, Lee and Jamie - keep your heads up!

Edited by bluedevil2002

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the players seem too afraid to hit someone. They have a big lineman who should be dominating the line but he just does'nt seem to have his heart into the game this year. If the line would block a little better maybe the offense would score a few points. The team also needs a few more assistants that know the game of football. Coach Thaxton is a good coach, he knows the game very well. He has made a few changes to the line this week maybe that will wake some of the linemen up.

Some of the players seem too afraid to hit someone. They have a big lineman who should be dominating the line but he just does'nt seem to have his heart into the game this year. If the line would block a little better maybe the offense would score a few points. The team also needs a few more assistants that know the game of football. Coach Thaxton is a good coach, he knows the game very well. He has made a few changes to the line this week maybe that will wake some of the linemen up.

825362890[/snapback]

Well i have my opinion on what is wrong with the program here in Gainesboro, but its just my opinion and doesn't carry much weight! lol I don't think its just one lineman or having a player or two that won't hit that is the problem. First of all a team is going to need alot more than just one lineman hitting, to me the kid is playing out of position anyways as has been the case with this program for a long time. Here we have a kid that is 6'2 or 6'3 and about 280 or 300 lbs and he is a stand up defensive end? He isn't quick enough to play that position he needs to be at nose where he can clog up the middle but then again what do i know? Last year the two biggest guys on the team played running back and fullback because thats where they wanted to play, instead of on the line where they should have been blocking. I agree with ya that there are some that won't hit and why they are in that position i don't know, its a mystery to me. I have watched these same kids play against eachother from the time they were in peewee football and in jr.high, and on this team you have a group of juniors and sophomores that beat monterey in a bowl game, they lost to smith co. by a score of 6-0 on a late touchdown, they beat York that year, they beat Upperman, they lost to Trousdale by 8 points and that game could have went either way. They only lost 2 or 3 games that year playing against the SAME kids for the most part. To me your success as a coach isn't necessarily measured by wins and losses, but how well your team is prepared to play. You might lose more games than you win in some areas and still have a successfull season as long as you are competitive in the games you play. We are not even competitive at all, and i know that we have the talent here to compete. I didn't say win i said compete. Our junior pro program is always one of the better programs and we play the same teams. They went 8-2 last year losing only to LA and Dekalb. This year our jr high team is down a little, however most of the players are 6th and 7th graders so next year and the year after they will field very good teams. Will moving to 2A help us any? Not unless some major changes are made. I love to watch my youngest son play football for Jackson County, his age group has always been very successfull and is full of talent, but when they see the high school program losing by 40 and 50 points a game every single time they play do you think they want to play on a program like that? Ask yourself the same question. It would be different if we didn't have the talent or the athletes and we were just that bad but thats not the case, we may be a little down and a little young in some areas but there comes a point and time when we say enough is enough, its time to move in a different direction if you ask me but then again what do i know? All i have left to say is i wish these young athletes that are out there giving there all every game the best of luck. They are a dedicated bunch of young men that deserve better. Keep your heads up guys and don't worry about the score board play every play like its 0-0 and good things will happen. thumb

Well i have my opinion on what is wrong with the program here in Gainesboro, but its just my opinion and doesn't carry much weight! lol I don't think its just  one lineman or having a player or two that won't hit that is the problem.  First of all a team is going to need alot more than just one lineman hitting, to me the kid is playing out of position anyways as has been the case with this program for a long time.  Here we have a kid that is 6'2 or 6'3 and about 280 or 300 lbs and he is a stand up defensive end? He isn't quick enough to play that position he needs to be at nose where he can clog up the middle but then again what do i know?  Last year the two biggest guys on the team played running back and fullback because thats where they wanted to play, instead of on the line where they should have been blocking.  I agree with ya that there are some that won't hit and why they are in that position i don't know, its a mystery to me.  I have watched these same kids play against eachother from the time they were in peewee football and in jr.high, and on this team you have a group of juniors and sophomores that beat monterey in a bowl game, they lost to smith co. by a score of 6-0 on a late touchdown, they beat York that year, they beat Upperman, they lost to Trousdale by 8 points and that game could have went either way.  They only lost 2 or 3 games that year playing against the SAME kids  for the most part.  To me your success as a coach isn't necessarily measured by wins and losses, but how well your team is prepared to play.  You might lose more games than you win in some areas and still have a successfull season as long as you are competitive in the games you play.  We are not even competitive at all, and i know that we have the talent here to compete.  I didn't say win i said compete.  Our junior pro program is always one of the better programs and we play the same teams.  They went 8-2 last year losing only to LA and Dekalb.  This year our jr high team is down a little, however most of the players are 6th and 7th graders so next year and the year after they will field very good teams.  Will moving to 2A help us any?  Not unless some major changes are made.  I love to watch my youngest son play football for Jackson County, his age group has always been very successfull and is full of talent, but when they see the high school program losing by 40 and 50 points a game every single time they play do you think they want to play on a program like that?  Ask yourself the same question.  It would be different if we didn't have the talent or the athletes and we were just that bad but thats not the case, we may be a little down and a little young in some areas but there comes a point and time when we say enough is enough, its time to move in a different direction if you ask me but then again what do i know?  All i have left to say is i wish these young athletes that are out there giving there all every game the best of luck.  They are a dedicated bunch of young men that deserve better.  Keep your heads up guys and don't worry about the score board play every play like its 0-0 and good things will happen. thumb

825362935[/snapback]

I agree with you on most of your post devil but I was referring to the big man when he is playing offensive tackle. He should be able to dominate and he could if he felt like it. But I guess when you are getting beat has bad as JC is not many would want to give 100%. Keep your son in Jackson Co because I would sure like seeing him play football and basketball.

I agree with you on most of your post devil but I was referring to the big man when he is playing offensive tackle. He should be able to dominate and he could if he felt like it. But I guess when you are getting beat has bad as JC is not many would want to give 100%. Keep your son in Jackson Co because I would sure like seeing him play football and basketball.

825363051[/snapback]

I definately agree with you junkie, and this is a kid that could play somewhere else at the next level if he gets motivated. He should dominate and on some plays he does and some he's no where to be found. He isn't alone, as we all know it takes a whole team from the coach down to the water boy working on the same page to make it go. As for my son, we have no plans to leave and we are anxiously awaiting roundball, hopefully his broken arm will be healed soon, the cast comes off next week. thumb

Can anyone tell me whats wrong with Blue Devil football? We have very little imagination on the field and seem to be losing players. What can we do to turn our program around. When I played we didn't win a lot of games but we did have fun, its not even fun to watch them anymore. What can we do?

To my boys Jon, Travis, Ryan, Lee and Jamie - keep your heads up!

825362467[/snapback]

I will address your question from another post where you asked about a kid transferring to Celina, there were two kids that transferred, and the one you are talking about happens to be my son. So to answer your question, no he didn't transfer to play football, but he does play for them now and is doing very well. There were a number of reasons for his transfer, #1 his mother has custody of him and she lives there, #2 we have had alot of our young adults dying in car accidents here in this county and he would have had to drive 25 miles to school and 25 miles home every day, and to me it just wasn't worth the risk of having him drive that far through all kinds of weather, this was not the case before as his mother still lived in Gainesboro but she remarried and the man she is married to is from Celina and that is why she moved there. Some ask about my younger son, well he stays with me most of the time but i see both of my boys every day. Hopefully this has answered your question and if you have any further questions regarding my son you can ask me directly when you see me and if you dont' know who i am just ask around, if you know my boys then you know me.