Region 6-5A

BHSbruins08

Everybody knows that region 6-5A is the most exciting region in Tennessee, but how do the standings really work? Brentwood is in first (which I have no problem with, as i go to BHS), but how are they in first?

Right now, here's where they stand:

Brentwood (5-2, 3-1 6-5A)

Dickson Co. (4-3, 3-1)

Franklin (6-1, 3-1)

Centennial (4-3, 2-2)

Clarksville (3-4, 2-2)

Ravenwood (5-2, 2-2)

Henry Co. (2-5, 1-3)

Kenwood (1-6, 0-4)

I see a pattern in the region records, but how are Brentwood and Dickson Co. ahead of Franklin, who has a better overall record than both of them. Plus, Franklin beat Dickson County, so how is Franklin in 3rd instead of 2nd? Before seeing these standings, I had thought that Franklin was in a tie with Brentwood by the numbers, but Brentwood would come out on top due to their victory over Franklin. I learned this from the SEC formula for determining tiebreakers.

Also, Franklin plays Ravenwood this Thursday. I thought that by losing to Ravenwood, Franklin would have no shot at the region title, and it would go home to B-town for a 4th consecutive year.

I think I've cleared everything up myself, but somebody else back me up on this so I can understand it better.

You can't really say who is first out of that group anyways since Franklin and Dickson County haven't played and Brentwood hasn't played the Cougars either. The TSSAA standings thus then went by overall record. I really don't think the playoff picture in Region 6-5A will be somewhat clear until after Week 9 and even then, there will be some key games still to be played (i.e. Franklin @ DC in Week 10).

6-5A has 3 teams at 3 - 1 and 3 more at 2 -2. Depending on who's school web site you look, you will see different names in different positions.

Bottom line - if more than two teams tie with region records, and head to head does not identify a number 1, then overall record is used.

Next 3 weeks will be interesting for the 6 teams at the top.