Playoff Tie-breaker

JC4life

What are the TSSAA rules for breaking a tie as far as playoff position? There could be a very sticky situation in 5A region 1 with 3 teams being tied and a playoff spot on the line. Jefferson Co holds the tie-breaker over Campbell Co,Campbell Co holds the tie-breaker over Sevier Co, and Sevier Co holds the tie-breaker over Jefferson Co. If all three teams end up 6-4 records and 4-3 in the region, who makes the playoffs?

If That Were The Case,Sevier County Would Miss!

Campbell County Is Already In!

825385862[/snapback]

I like your thinking ChrisB5+, but how are the Cougars already in if the scenario as JC4 describes plays out? The loss by Jeff Co to Sevier Co messed up a solid lock for the Cougars since Jeff Co. owns the tie-breaker over the Cougars. Please explain how the Cougars are already in? Thanks!

What are the TSSAA rules for breaking a tie as far as playoff position? There could be a very sticky situation in 5A region 1 with 3 teams being tied and a playoff spot on the line. Jefferson Co holds the tie-breaker over Campbell Co,Campbell Co holds the tie-breaker over Sevier Co, and Sevier Co holds the tie-breaker over Jefferson Co. If all three teams end up 6-4 records and 4-3 in the region, who makes the playoffs?

825385788[/snapback]

In a three-way tie like what you have mentioned actually goes to points against. It seems llike this is an issue every year in Region 1-5A. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think overall points against are weighed first; then, if their are further ties, scored points are used to determine seed.

Here is how the tie breakers work.

First, if a team has defeated one of the others, they get the higher ranking.

If that does not decide it, it goes to total number of wins

If that does not decide it, it goes to the team with most victories over teams winning 50% of their games

Next, it goes to the team, whose opponents have the most victories

This goes on a little more. For full details go to the link below.

http://www.tssaa.org/Handbook/football.pdf

I guess it will all be figured out the last week of the season, its just too close to call at this point. I`m going to be rooting against both Sevier Co and Campbell these next two weeks. CC has a better chance of losing two, than Sevier Co has of losing one, so I`m going to be the biggest Karns and DB fan in the world.

Edited by JC4life