GIRL WRESTLER MOVIE

Kris Smith

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not a sport.  never has been, never will be.

825478774[/snapback]

I'm not sure I agree with that statement. As a former, successful HS wrestler, I have a pretty good understanding of hardwork and competition, and cheerleaders do both. I had some friends who were cheerleaders, who worked hard and entered in competitions along with the rest of their team. Granted they don't compete like other sports with competition every week for 2-4 months, unless they consider cheering at football/basketball games along with the other teams cheerleaders competition, which I'm sure most do. But they do have actual competitions with other teams, where a score is kept. Now what defines a sport? Good cheerleaders have to work hard to stay in shape, they have practices, it takes skill, they sweat, they bleed, they have coaches, and they compete. Someone could make the argument that the aspect of strategizing to beat the opponent, such as, shifting weight classes around to get the best matchups or snapping the ball directly to the halfback to catch the defense off guard, isn't there. However they have to have different formations, different cheers, and practice them in order win there competitions, they suffer the same emotions of winning and losing just like any other team would, and I'm sure there is last minute strategies to win their competitions. So if this doesn't meet the requirements to be defined as a sport, what does?

I'm not sure I agree with that statement.  As a former, successful HS wrestler, I have a pretty good understanding of hardwork and competition, and cheerleaders do both.  I had some friends who were cheerleaders, who worked hard and entered in competitions along with the rest of their team.  Granted they don't compete like other sports with competition every week for 2-4 months, unless they consider cheering at football/basketball games along with the other teams cheerleaders competition, which I'm sure most do.  But they do have actual competitions with other teams, where a score is kept.  Now what defines a sport?  Good cheerleaders have to work hard to stay in shape, they have practices, it takes skill, they sweat, they bleed, they have coaches, and they compete.  Someone could make the argument that the aspect of strategizing to beat the opponent, such as, shifting weight classes around to get the best matchups or snapping the ball directly to the halfback to catch the defense off guard, isn't there.  However they have to have different formations, different cheers, and practice them in order win there competitions, they suffer the same emotions of winning and losing just like any other team would, and I'm sure there is last minute strategies to win their competitions.  So if this doesn't meet the requirements to be defined as a sport, what does?

825482477[/snapback]

Not that. This is like ice skating. It is an exhibition. It is dancing on a wrestling match with a baton and ribbon. It is a beauty contest, with judges, again a competions with the same things you just named. It is synchrinized swimming with nose plugs, lots of work and competitions.

Let me put it this way, do the girls throw the guys up in the air? Why not? Is it becasue there is a difference?

You can believe it is a sport if you like. My opinion is that it is not. I don't think junion miss is a sport either.

The Title IX numbers crunchers apparently agree with the anti-sport designation for cheerleading also.  Count my vote among the folks favoring sport designation for cheerleading.

825482521[/snapback]

Yeah, but you want it for different reasons than being a sport. You might ask that cafeteria workers that happen to be female, be called a sport so they count for the title IX numbers.

I see your motivation.