Unicoi Co. @ Elizabethton

coachh17

Huge District 1 game Tuesday night in Elizabethton. Cyclones coming off solid wins over Happy Valley and Sullivan North. Unicoi has two nice victories over Sullivan Central and Volunteer. A Cyclone win would give them a two game lead over Unicoi. A Lady Devil win would result in a tie for the District 1 lead. What do you think? Who takes this key game?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the BUMP, 17. I was wondering what was missing on the board tonight/this morning.

Elizabethton handled Central; Unicoi beat them in a close one, but with a somewhat deceptively-close score. A few more free-throws through the rim and it might have been double-digits. But you already know this, huh? Your number one scout was at both their games this week. :D

Unicoi, to this point, doesn't appear nearly as confident as last season, which is understandable considering they've played only a hand full of games with all on board; and a couple of them are still limping a bit.

The Cyclones? Would normally expect Cameron Crapps or Victoria Hopson to hit Big from outside; but if Unicoi does one thing very well, they usually play Great Perimeter Defense. Should be a Classic.

The keys are turnovers and rebounds. I expect both teams to struggle shooting the ball because of the other team's defense. The cyclones must keep Weaver/Sparks/Mainer off the boards, by boxing out well, covering the weakside rebounds and going hard after every loose ball/team rebound. We know Unicoi will hit the boards hard. Will the Cyclones? The cyclones must take care of the ball and minimize their throw-aways. Cyclones need to avoid jacking up too many threes as well. Work the inside first. Value each possession. Leave it all on the floor. Victory will then be attainable.

I look for a low scoring game with both teams in the thirties.

From what I saw vs. North, Betsy needs to work on being a team. Too many times there were passing lanes to the low blocks with players having worked hard to gain position and they were overlooked for some reason. The offensive game should start inside. If the current set of "outside" players don't feel the absolute need to get the ball inside first and outside last, I would find someone on the bench to make that pass.

Petrowski (?) and Baughman both worked hard positioning inside vs. North and I was trully dissapointed that the ball wasn't worked more to them. Seems to be some "I" players on the team. Of course, there is no "I" in team (saw that one on TV :justwrestle: ). The girls did seem to hustle up and down the floor much better than the last time I saw them. I am surprised that they don't send a guard down the floor from the defensive end on shots. Might even get some fast break lay ups? Lots of "team-work" needed.

Start inside and take what is given and work out from there after teams tighten up.

GO CYCLONES!! thumb

I would think that as in nearly every game played - excepting for those nights when one team or the other can't seem to miss - Fouls and Foul Shots are so important. It's a given that you'd better get the rebounds and loose balls, or this one can become one-sided for either team.

With either Baughman, Redd or Pietrowski spending much time on the bench, Elizabethton, even playing at home, will lose. With Weaver out, the Lady Blue Devils are a bit scattered.

However the Lady Blue Devils have a bit of an advantage down low, with the development of Mainer. Pietrowski and Baughman are as good as most any post pair in the area; but from these posts, it appears that their post game is suffering due to inexperience at the wings (not my call, I haven't seen them enough lately). If the Lady Cyclones don't get the ball to their inside scorers, they're beat.

Unicoi also has more game-ready Guards: Lingerfelt, Kerns, Engles and Barnett, the freshman, are quality.

It will come down to foul trouble, I think, and whether Unicoi can hit free-throws like last season.

I would think that as in nearly every game played - excepting for those nights when one team or the other can't seem to miss - Fouls and Foul Shots are so important.  It's a given that you'd better get the rebounds and loose balls, or this one can become one-sided for either team.

With either Baughman, Redd or Pietrowski spending much time on the bench, Elizabethton, even playing at home, will lose.  With Weaver out, the Lady Blue Devils are a bit scattered. 

However the Lady Blue Devils have a bit of an advantage down low, with the development of Mainer.  Pietrowski and Baughman are as good as most any post pair in the area; but from these posts, it appears that their post game is suffering due to inexperience at the wings (not my call, I haven't seen them enough lately).  If the Lady Cyclones don't get the ball to their inside scorers, they're beat.

Unicoi also has more game-ready Guards: Lingerfelt, Kerns, Engles and Barnett, the freshman, are quality. 

It will come down to foul trouble, I think, and whether Unicoi can hit free-throws like last season.

825512036[/snapback]

As far as being able to make the inlet pass to the blocks, there are several that can do that. It's not rocket science making a wrap around or over the top pass. It looked to me to be a "team" problem. I hate to call names (sometimes), but I think the effort is now there from Baughman and Petrowski (Pet needs to quit whinning) and they are being ignored for some reason. They worked hard on positioning and gained very little. Bench time would open some eyes of the outside ball handlers. Val attempts to get it in there, but she forces the passes at times. Looked better vs. North, but there is much to be done between the ears to get them clicking as a team.

Good points GLee, but I don't see such a shake-up happening. Treadway will get more minutes because of Bush's injury, but I really don't see anything else changing. Barring a change in coaching philosophy, this years team is hitched to the starting five's wagon for better or worse.

With the quantity of talent present in the fresh/soph classes, next year may be different as far as substitutions/bench use goes. We could truly play the full-court game the next couple years if they will turn em loose and keep em fresh.

Edited by coaches_corner

Oh, how I'd love to be able to attend a game tonight. :justwrestle:

This game, as I recall, we've talked about since, well, since last season. For both teams, this will be THE measuring stick.

It's probably obvious that I absolutely LOVE the way Uncoi plays the game of basketball. They are very-well coached (duhhh), and not a sign of selfishness, even by the all-staters. But they still haven't approached the level at which they were performing, (specifically Offensively), last season, and for good reason, with the Key injuries.

But the Cyclones? I still remember the Happy Valley Tournament and the show at Viking Hall. These Lady Cyclones are very talented ....And, they played with such Hustle and determination ....And they were certainly playing as a TEAM.

If EHS plays to their potential, they can play with anybody, including the teams that did that number on them in Greeneville. Something not-so-funny must have happened recently. Something just doesn't make sense. These Lady Cyclones are better than the team I've been reading about recently.

Normally I'd run to the window and bet a full dollar on the Blue Devils. But Something smells. Glee, Corner, is this mere gamesmanship on your part? :justwrestle:

Cyclones beat Devils 46-31. Home team really jumped on Unicoi early going up by 15 in the first half. Unicoi recovered and the lead stayed at about ten points through the third. At one point midway through the fourth quarter Unicoi cut the lead to five, but the cyclones pulled away at the end. Very good defensive effort by EHS. A very very physical game. Good effort tonight although we missed too many foul shots and layups, and didnt rebound as well as we are capable. OH well, gotta have something to work on!!! Overall, an uplifting performance by the Lady Cyclones. Two game lead in the conference heading into tough road game at Volunteer friday. Good job.