Marshall County Hires Coach William Johnson

FatCat

I hate to be negative but I bet there is more to his leaving Stratford than people are saying! He must be taking a huge cut in pay and he has had so much success at his old high school. What makes a man leave his alma mater to take a job in Lewisburg and a cut in pay? I know Marshall County has a fine program but there is more to this story than we know (or probably should know).

Anyway, congratulations coach Williams, it looks like the Tigers have found a good football coach. I hope Tommy Tharp stays on and works with you. He too is a great coach!

Go to www.tennessean.com and ck out the school report card. I was shocked by the metro inner city hs scores,graduation rates etc. Glencliff has a graduation rate of about 35%! Stratford and others struggle also. It is a very demanding coaching challenge in those schools and those that do it should be commended.

Also the property tax rate and other expenses are so high in Davidson County a coach taking a pay cut to go to a smaller county can take less pay and still be ok financially and have less headaches overall.

Not to get on a soap box here but if you review the worst schools the ones with the highest number of economically dis advantaged students(the over whelming majority being single parent homes) always have poor scores.Success is possible for all students no matter surroundings however, if anyone tells you it "doesn't matter" if a child is raised in a single family home vs a traditional home with a mother and father present I would say for most students the facts show otherwise.

If you are a student in a bad situation be the one that stops it! Take school seriously, ask for help, do your work don't miss class, be responsible.

My bet is coach Johnson spent as much time preaching the last statement as he did talking football.

This does not even take into account that the areas close to Stratford are some of the highest crime areas in metro and Stratford at least once a yr has a situation with guns at school.

I don't know coach Johnson but if you ask why would anyone leave the school they graduated from I think several of the things noted above would come into play.

In an interview with a local radio station Coach Johnson made the statement that this decision was one for his family. He has three young girls, all of whom will most likely play some sport and that Marshall County has long been known for it's sports teams.He also saw this as a chance for his family to be closer. Living and working in the same community, and his children growing up in a good community.

Lewisburg is a long way from Stratford in many ways, but it isn't the end of the world. You can just see it from here on a clear day !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Story from Marshall Gazette:

Stratford Coach Named New Tiger Football Head Coach

Last week, Director of Schools John D. Pierce made the announcement many Tiger football fans had been anticipating.

Stratford High School Football coach William Harris Johnson was named the new Head Coach of the MCHS Tiger Football program. Johnson will serve as a Vocational Teacher along with his duties as head of the football program at MCHS.

In the past two seasons at Stratford High School, a 4A program that competes in a very tough region, Johnson led his team to a 22-3 record overall and back to back Region 6-4A Championships. Twice, in 2003 and 2004, Johnson was named Region Coach of the Year and Metro Coach of the Year. In 2003, Johnson was named Mid-State Coach of the Year and Nashville Civitan Coach of the Year. Among his most impressive accomplishments is a 100 percent graduation rate for his student athletes at Stratford.

Johnson started coaching at the junior high level in Mt. Juliet as head coach while also serving as an assistant coach on the high school squad. He later moved to be an assistant at Lebanon High before returning to his alma mater at Stratford to serve as head coach.

Johnson and his family, wife Zinamarie and three children, Elena, Hannah and Whitley, reside in Lebanon where they are members of the Lebanon First United Methodist Church.

The coach will be holding his first interview Thursday at the Central Office at Jones Circle beginning at 11 a.m.