Powell @ Halls

jamesd

Halls cannot get 3rd place. Its impossible. Here are the scenarios.

If:

1) Halls beats Powell and Clinton, 3 way tie for 2nd and it would be; Halls 2nd, Clinton 3rd, and Powell 4th.

2) Halls beats Powell and loses to Clinton, Clinton 2nd, Powell 3rd, and Halls would be at a 6-6 tie with Karns. Since Karns beat OR, I am assuming they would get 4th and Halls 5th.

3) Halls loses to Powell and beats Clinton, same scenario as #2 but Powell would be 2nd and Clinton 3rd.

4) Halls loses to Powell and Clinton, they have 5th as their record would be 7-5.

wow!  Is this district close or what ?  We will know more tonight after the Halls/Powell game.  Please post back here if you go to that game.  I will have to miss it.

825563364[/snapback]

I went to the game, left with 15 seconds left on the clock to beat traffic because Halls sealed the deal late. I was getting worried when Powell trimmed it down to 5 late(Halls led by as much as 14 i think with 4 minutes left in the game), but Halls got their free throws going and was able to pull it out. Powell had three players foul out late, Ward, Hargis, and #5. Ward was in foul trouble all game and probably only played half of it. Seigers came off the bench and was by far the leading scorer, hitting at least 4 three pointers and at least 5 free throws. I think after him was borum, not sure on the total, but Halls has found defense. What I mean is, they usually only play the man to man defense or at least in the past they did, tonight they were in a 1-3-1 matchup zone which caused Powell trouble all night when Ward was on the bench. When he was out there, he spotted up the 3 and hit it and hit it and hit it, but the foul trouble killed him. Lee Smith didn't do all that much really. He probably had around ten but may have had more or less. It's so hard to keep up with all the scoring in your head. Halls/Clinton will be an interesting game. D. Whitt, Dye, and another player(possibly the coach too, i'm not sure what he looks like) all were at the game and sat in front of me. So they see how Halls was clicking on all cylinders tonight. Should make for a real interesting game. Halls is only 1 game away from making it to 2nd. This is just unbelievable that they're even this close to it. Good luck to them next week against Clinton. I won't be able to make it out there because I have to go practice for an Easter pageant at my church. If anyone's got some more info on this game, please let us know. Oh, another thing is that it seemed as if Halls wanted the game a whole lot more than Powell. It was an incredible game of spurts. At one point, Halls led like 46-35 or something like that and Powell rallied to tie it at 46...then halls broke it back out to 58-47 and Powell never got that close afterwards.

Halls cannot get 3rd place. Its impossible. Here are the scenarios.

If:

1) Halls beats Powell and Clinton, 3 way tie for 2nd and it would be; Halls 2nd, Clinton 3rd, and Powell 4th.

2) Halls beats Powell and loses to Clinton, Clinton 2nd, Powell 3rd, and Halls would be at a 6-6 tie with Karns. Since Karns beat OR, I am assuming they would get 4th and Halls 5th.

3) Halls loses to Powell and beats Clinton, same scenario as #2 but Powell would be 2nd and Clinton 3rd.

4) Halls loses to Powell and Clinton, they have 5th as their record would be 7-5.

825563147[/snapback]

Yes, Halls can get 3rd, say Halls beats Clinton on Tues. that would put Clinton, Halls, and Powell at 7-5. Halls would hold the tiebreaker over Powell and Clinton and Halls would split. So they would go 2 a tiebreaker to see would get 2nd and 3rd. And the next tie breaker is quality of opponent beat, and clinton beat oak ridge, the #1 team, and halls did not, so that could possibly put Halls in 3rd place.

Yes, Halls can get 3rd, say Halls beats Clinton on Tues. that would put Clinton, Halls, and Powell at 7-5.  Halls would hold the tiebreaker over Powell and Clinton and Halls would split.  So they would go 2 a tiebreaker to see would get 2nd and 3rd.  And the next tie breaker is quality of opponent beat, and clinton beat oak ridge, the #1 team, and halls did not, so that could possibly put Halls in 3rd place.

825563704[/snapback]

No, that is not right. A three way tie means that you compare records head to head against ALL teams you are tied with. If Halls wins, they will be 3-1 against Clinton and Powell, the teams they are tied with. Clinton would be 2-2 and Powell would 1-3. You don't look at record against the top team unless you cannot break the tie breaker head to head. If for example, Clinton, Halls and Powell finished in a tie and all split against each other, then Clinton would get the nod by their victory over Oak Ridge.

That is why, unbelievably, Halls will either finish 2nd or 5th depending on the outcome of the Clinton game. If they lose they would be tied for fourth with Karns at 6-6. Karns and Halls split, so Karns would win the tie breaker by virtue of their victory over Oak Ridge, the top team in the district.

Edited by mocs30

By the way, regarding the game, Powell lost again to a team that zoned them because they could not make an outside shot. Very few teams guard Powell man to man. Those that do usually lose.

Powell has some serious soul searching to do right now. They are on the verge of letting a great opportunity slip through their fingers. To be honest, several of those guys don't even seem to care. If you asked me who the leader of Powell's team is, I could not tell you because they don't appear to have one.